1918 precise stock new?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ToddMay

1918 precise stock new?

Post by ToddMay »

Just got a new 1907 in a 1918 precise stock. Looks great, daughter likes it and it fits her better. Now what type of issues can we expect from it? The buffer pads under the stock look like in time might be an issue. Are they? Anything else we should watch for?

Thanks
Todd
MSNations

Post by MSNations »

The anschutz 54 action has a proven track record of reliability. All indications are that the new 'precise' stocks are robust in design and well made. The pad you mention under the action is similar to the one found in the previous generation stock. Anschutz recommends periodic replacement but the vast majority of users never bother, and are not any worse off for it. The 'precise' stock is the first anschutz stock made without a replaceable handstop rail, so care should be taken to not unnecessarily mark it up.

-Mark
ToddMay

Post by ToddMay »

So the replacement pads can be purchased through Champion Choice or such?
MSNations

Post by MSNations »

The pads are not listed on Champions Choice's online catalog. TBH I don't think I've ever seen a replacement bedding pad in any catalog. Someone on the AMU probably knows of a source or an alternative replacement material that is more readily available.

-Mark
BAtarget

Post by BAtarget »

if you go to Camp Perry or Fort Benning, you may have take certain procautions for certain matches. I have a friend that had to shoot prone with the off-hand hand rest to make the gun "safe". The line officers hade a problem because the trigger gaurd doesn't meet NRA standards. It isn't a complete trigger gaurd. The same guy was shooting at the prone camp one year at Camp Perry and had to shoot on the last relay by himself because the presise stock was causing glare onto other shooters, and thus hindering other shooters' abilities. Hope this helps
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

The NRA Rule (only in the NRA Smallbore Rifle Rules) states:

3.5 Trigger Guard - A rifle must be equipped with an effective trigger guard. Lack of a trigger guard constitutes an unsafe rifle.

This rule has apparently been around for many years.

This particular rule, or anything like it, is NOT included in any other rulebook that I have found. It is not in the NRA International Rifle Rules which covers Air Rifle (standing) or in the NRA Position Air Rifle rules, either precision or sporter.

As I read that rule, the word "effective" is open to interpretation. Different models of rifles by the main manufacturers have various designs of trigger guards. Some are open, either to the front or to the rear, rather than fully encircling the trigger. Some are integral to the design of the stock or are accessories attached to the stock to function as a trigger guard.

The purpose of the trigger guard is to protect the trigger. The full trigger guard is desirable in a hunting situation where brush or other object may come in contact with the trigger lever. The guard helps prevent, but does not eliminate, the possibility of inadvertently firing of the gun. Of course, the safety is on in that case too.

In a competitive shooting environment the gun is only loaded while on the firing line. If the shooter leaves the firing line, the gun must be unloaded and grounded or put on the bench. A trigger guard is no longer necessary
to prevent inadvertent firing, but rather to protect the trigger lever and the trigger mechanisim itself from damage. The trigger guard designs on competitive shooting rifles reflect this change in function.

The rules need to be applied with some common sense.
jkuna

Post by jkuna »

here is a trigger guard for precise stock
[/img]
Attachments
trigger guard.jpg
trigger guard.jpg (5.56 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Abi

Post by Abi »

My Precise came with both trigger guards. I use the "open" one. I felt that the fat aluminum one interfered with my trigger finger, as it seemed to sit a little higher/closer than the thinner, open one. So far no one has complained about my trigger guard or the glare, although I have personally been victim to my own glare.

Also, in standing I hold close to the trigger guard with my support hand, and with the aluminum trigger guard it forces my hold farther forward, as the trigger guard attaches to the rail.
ToddMay

Post by ToddMay »

Well here is a picture of the 1907 in a 1918 stock i was speaking about. i even sent a question to NRA about the trigger guard rule. no response yet.

ToddImage
BAtarget

Post by BAtarget »

Yep thats the one. Friend had to put offhand block in front of it to have a "complete" trigger guard