Frame mount or slide mount

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bullseyeny

Frame mount or slide mount

Post by bullseyeny »

Any thoughts on slide mount vs frame mount for 45? Want to put ultradot matchdot on the mount
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Either will work well, and the ultradot matchdot is a good enough scope to take the pounding of being mounted on the slide. The slide mount is almost always the cheaper way to go because a good frame mount will cost you something. There are a few drawbacks to both types of mounts and a few advantages, but the trade offs could fill an essay.
If you have access to both set ups through friends, I would suggest that you shoot both but then realize that until you have about a hundred matches under your belt, you probably won't know why one gun feels right and another feels "off" anyway. Your triggering will be the issue that will make or break you as a bullseye shooter, not how you secure your red dot to the gun......:-)
keith

Post by keith »

As I am new to the .45 thing as far as BE is concerned ....I will only throw out one pt. as this is what I made my decission on ......I went with a slide mount . My reason was that with a slide mount the frame to slide fit wouldnt play in . I figured if the open sights where mounted to the slide and the barrel locks to the slide ..well thats where I'll put my dot.....many people go both ways ,most that Ive seen went with the slide mount....now that being said if you have a well built gun that has a great tune on it and you'd rather go frame mount I dont see any problem with it....the frame mount will simplify your loading and recoil spring balanceing act.
Rimfire Ric

Post by Rimfire Ric »

I too have a RO that I purchased to shoot bullseye 25 yd indoor. It shoots great but the 5.5 lb trigger pull is to hard, and would like to get it down to 3.5 lbs and mount a frame mount and ultra dot. Since I have no idea how to work on it should I try to find a local smith or send it to someone? Any suggestions appreciated.
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

I wouldn't have anybody that I didn't know personally or was not recommended by someone I know do the work you are describing. The 1911 trigger needs be be done by someone who understands it well and a frame mount requires drilling and tapping 10 (I think) small holes in the thin part of the dust cover. Good luck.
tuj

Post by tuj »

rimfire ric: if you just want to try out a dot on your gun without modifying it, check out the aimtech mount which replaces the right grip panel. You can do this work yourself.

As for the trigger, you should take that to a smith for the work. You can fiddle with the sear spring a little bit yourself (get a spare in case you screw up) and see how that helps, but the smoothness of pull will come through stoning the internal surfaces to the proper angles on a jig.
Rimfire Ric

Post by Rimfire Ric »

tuj wrote:rimfire ric: if you just want to try out a dot on your gun without modifying it, check out the aimtech mount which replaces the right grip panel. You can do this work yourself.

As for the trigger, you should take that to a smith for the work. You can fiddle with the sear spring a little bit yourself (get a spare in case you screw up) and see how that helps, but the smoothness of pull will come through stoning the internal surfaces to the proper angles on a jig.
I hope I did not hijack the OP's thread, but I had been trying to figure out the same thing. I really like the Idea of a mount that will not require drilling. I know you said it will allow me to try out the dot on the .45, but do you also think it is viable option for Bulls eye shooting in the long term? If it is, then all I have to do is find a smith for trigger job and I would be set!

Thank you for your help.

Ric
tuj

Post by tuj »

ric: I do not think the aimtech mount would deter your progress in bullseye depending on what level of shooter you are.

I am a humble marksman and I can shoot as good with my STI Spartan with its factory trigger and aimtech mount as I can with my Les Baer PII 1.5G with very low frame-mount dot.

I think if you are a master level shooter, then yes, you are going to want a slide mount or very low frame mount but there is no reason to think that very good results cannot be achieved with the simpler aimtech mount.
Rimfire Ric

Post by Rimfire Ric »

tuj wrote:ric: I do not think the aimtech mount would deter your progress in bullseye depending on what level of shooter you are.

I am a humble marksman and I can shoot as good with my STI Spartan with its factory trigger and aimtech mount as I can with my Les Baer PII 1.5G with very low frame-mount dot.

I think if you are a master level shooter, then yes, you are going to want a slide mount or very low frame mount but there is no reason to think that very good results cannot be achieved with the simpler aimtech mount.
Great, I am a Marksman Plus on a good day, so this is good news. Since they don't make one specifically for the range officer, I guess this is the one I would order?
Colt Government Model .45 and copies Black APM-7 66.50 3572400019
tuj

Post by tuj »

Yes the regular aimtech colt mount should fit any 1911. On my Spartan, I had to use a dremel to slightly enlarge one of the grip bushing mounting holes, but otherwise the fit was fine. The metal is pretty tough stuff too.
Rimfire Ric

Post by Rimfire Ric »

tuj wrote:Yes the regular aimtech colt mount should fit any 1911. On my Spartan, I had to use a dremel to slightly enlarge one of the grip bushing mounting holes, but otherwise the fit was fine. The metal is pretty tough stuff too.
Thank you very much!

Good Shooting;

Ric
NCST8

Post by NCST8 »

Most people say slide mount, but I prefer the feel of a frame mount. Shoot both, and decide which feels best to you.

A frame mount feels more like a standard iron sighted gun to me. The slide mount has a mushier recoil feel.
jhinman

Post by jhinman »

I have a grip mount. The panel for the grip mount is thicker than the stock grip panel, so that takes some getting used to. I also had to cut the safety back to clear the grip mount. I think the original thumb safety will not cocnflict, but the extended thumb safety lever on my Kimber conflicted with the grip mount.
tuj

Post by tuj »

Just adding a post-script here: with my Aimtech mount, I occasionally get failures to eject where the empty gets caught between the slide and the bottom of the mount. I've tried playing with recoil springs and removing some material from the bottom of the mount, but I still get the occasional FTE. Just an FYI.

I think the Aimtech is a good option to see IF you like the dot and want to be able to switch your gun back to stock easily with no permanent modifications.
38HBWC

Frame mount

Post by 38HBWC »

Nothing I can add that has not been hashed out here. But on the Baer WC, I am totally happy with the frame mount. Feels solid. I personally have less confidence with the Docter and JP up on the slide. My M-52 Smith has the BME mount that goes in place of the counterweight and I perceive the same security as with the Baer WC. I know this is all in my head. So, you have to experiment for yourself. As we all know, sight picture is the top requirement...all other factors are supportive.