1911 Grip Mount Scope Mount

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

matchguy

1911 Grip Mount Scope Mount

Post by matchguy »

Hello,

I have an old video called NRA Bullseye Competition Basics. In it he describes his pistol with the frame mounted red dot on it. He mentions "we used to use grip mount scope mounts but we got away from them."

Anyone know the reason "they got away from them?"

I got one about 10 years ago and finally got it to fit on something I have. I know it puts the scope pretty high but not that much more than a frame mount but certainly lots more than a slide mount.

Thanks
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

That isn't quite the answer. The grip mounts were held in place by the grip panel screw threads, a task that they were never designed for. Since the mounting screws were well below the axis of the bore, and the aimpoint or red dot scope was well above the axis, a lot of torque was applied to the screw threads, ending in loosening the mount. They had a smooth thumb rest which I didn't like, and it widened the grip. Then the slide mounts came along and blew grip mounts into the junkbin of Colt history.
Chris
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Levergun59 wrote:Then the slide mounts came along and blew grip mounts into the junkbin of Colt history.
All true. I occasionally still use a grip mount with a higher-powered scope on a Ruger MKI for ammo testing, but that's a low-stress application.

For centerfires, they're no longer useful. I saw two grip mount setups (separate from but intended for S&W M52s) at the last big gun show in Houston, both with 2X scopes attached (I guess some old bullseye shooters were clearing out their stuff) and even for low double-digit prices, no one was interested. No one wanted the 52s, either.
tuj

Post by tuj »

I am using the AimTech grip mount on a STI Spartan shooting full-power factory loads. Its been nothing but good. Holds zero, hasn't had any of the screws loosen. I am very impressed with it. If you're not familar, the Aimtech mount uses the right grip panel and also replaces two of the take-down pins with pin-screws so the mount is held on my the two grip screws plus the two take-down pin-screws.

The only negatives are that:

a) it covers the ejection port when the slide is in battery so oiling is a little tricky; have to do it from the far side.

b) I have gotten a few jams where the empty brass caught between the slide and the mount. But these have not been frequent.

I actually have had better luck with this AimTech mount that I installed myself than I have been having with a frame mount on my Les Baer installed by Brileys.

Jerry Keefer

Frame mounts

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Frame mounts have evolved over the years.. This design is actually lower than most slide mounts..
Jerry

BenEnglishTX

Re: Frame mounts

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Jerry Keefer wrote:Frame mounts have evolved over the years.. This design is actually lower than most slide mounts..
Excellent point. When low mounts are needed, that's great. (And that's a good-looking mount, btw. Is it as well-made as it looks? If it is, I need to put that mfg name, Keefer, into my mental Rolodex.)

I, on the other hand, am working on a project where I'm trying to mount the sights as HIGH as possible. Carver makes a wonderfully crafted, exceptionally sturdy model called the Hunter that's tall enough you can still look under it and use the iron sights. The Bushnell in this picture will be replaced by a scope if I need to do further ammo testing but the final configuration will be irons that will sit nearly 2 inches above the bore line. (Without going off on a tangent, yes, there is a shooting game where this is an advantage.)

Generally speaking, the original poster asked why grip-mounted sights gave way to other other configurations. I think the core answer is that slide and (especially) frame mounts are more durable. They are certainly also capable of putting your sight wherever you want it, high or low, forward or back, whatever your preference. I have grip mounts for Rugers and the S&W 52 and neither is as versatile or as durable as the frame mounts I've used over the last couple of decades.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

[quote="BenEnglishTX Is it as well-made as it looks? [/quote]
Of course..:)
There are features that are not visible.. such as machined steps/slots that prevent shifting under recoil. The screws only pull the base and frame together. The precisely machined slots carry the load..
Jerry
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Jerry Keefer wrote:Of course..:)
D'oh!

Just noticed the mfg name on the mount and the name of the poster. Feelin' a little oblivious at the moment. :)
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Jerry Keefer is a fine gunsmith and a very nice man. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a Zins clinic in Richmond in 2009.

One of my fellow shooters from Colorado has been shooting a Keefer 45 for several years now and seems very happy with it.

I personally shoot a 45 with a frame mounted dot. I have been very happy with the gun. My mount is much like the one pictured.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Isabel1130 wrote:Jerry Keefer is a fine gunsmith and a very nice man. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a Zins clinic in Richmond in 2009.

One of my fellow shooters from Colorado has been shooting a Keefer 45 for several years now and seems very happy with it.

I personally shoot a 45 with a frame mounted dot. I have been very happy with the gun. My mount is much like the one pictured.
Thank you..Nice to hear from you.
Well then, I bet I know where you got your mount..:)
Basically, it is a David Sams frame mount. Dave is a huge advocate of frame mounts, and he designed the large side plate, and base plate which is bolted and silver soldered to the dust cover. Dave lives nearby and we conspired on this set up. All I had to do, was design and fabricate the base to hold the Aimpoint Micro Dot. This gun is a unique departure from the traditional heavy slide mounted optics. It is exactly the opposite, and sports a lightened slide. It functions great and is a real pleasure to shoot.
Take care
Jerry
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

You would be correct Jerry. My 45s have David Sams frame mounts on them. I probably should just add David's name to my bank account to make the process of giving him all my money a more direct one. :-)