Steyr LP50 questions from a Bullseye Shooter

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

investorsc

Steyr LP50 questions from a Bullseye Shooter

Post by investorsc »

I'm ready to make the jump on my air pistol from entry level to a more refined unit. I am thinking the Steyr LP50 series. I am thinking the "E" model, but my big question is what to do about trigger pull setting. They have the 4# trigger for "Bullseye" shooters and the super light trigger for real air pistol competitions.

Questions:

Electronic or standard- your thoughts?

Trigger Setup- Is there an opportunity for the exchange of trigger packages for the given application (2 setups for one gun)?

If no ability to interchange trigger setups- which one choice do you guys typically use?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Smith

PS If there is a used LP50(e?) out the for sale, I could be very interested..

bruce@wealthkare.com
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I'm not sure about the newer ones but my older LP5 has what I would call a creepy and scratchy trigger that was from what I understand necessary because it was mechanical and multiple shot. If you want it to practice Bullseye the heavier trigger might be an advantage but for air pistol the lighter is certainly better. I would go for the electronic trigger myself if I was buying a new one because I think the trigger is still the same on the newer model mechanicals. If they have been changed, someone speak up. -- Bill --
investorsc

Post by investorsc »

Thanks Bill...

I talked to Buck today at Pilkguns, and he said basically the same thing..That you sacrifice trigger smoothness with the mechanical in a repeater design. Electronic is the way to go, but they are checking to see if you can have 2 trigger packs with ease of changeout....

Bruce
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I would think that the electronic model should be easy to adjust for any weight but it of course depends on how they made it and whether they want to sell you another trigger pack. -- Bill --
xpshooter

Post by xpshooter »

Hello,

I have been in contact with Manuela from Steyr I have pasted a few of his comments from those e-mails:
----------------------------------------------------------------
We do not produce any LP50E at the moment. We are making a few changes on it and will not sell it until we are finished to get aware of double shots.

At the moment we cannot say for how long we won´t sell the the LP50E.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

This sucks, because I want one. I told him I would check back every month to see how they are coming along with this issue.

Sorry for the bad news.

xpshooter
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I give them credit though to not deliver until they have it worked out. Others have jumped the gun on electric triggers and caused many people grief. -- Bill --
investorsc

Post by investorsc »

Xp-

When were those e-mails. Has this exchange been going on for a while or has much time passed since you got that info.? Thanks for the post- that helps!

Thanks,

Bruce
woodhenge

Post by woodhenge »

I was unaware that the LP50E is currently unavailable. Having just learned of it from these postings, I am pleased that sales have been suspended, if that is the case. I purchased one as soon as the Pilk folks would sell me one. It exeeded my expectations until I experienced my first "double fire". It was a sobering experience. I have had a couple since then. The experience immediately drains confidence in the pistol and also sucks the fun out of shooting it. Assuming that the problem will be solved, I wonder what offerings will be made to those of us who have the earlier models and wonder how many shots will be fired with each trigger pull.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Unless you're planning to practice Timed and Rapid, you would likely be better off with a different gun.

You can buy a FWB 65 with a set-up for a heavier trigger pull for regular pistol practice. It's a flip-of-the-switch conversion and you probably can't find anything near its quality for such a low price as they're available for. It also has a recoil/no recoil set-up.

If you want to get into "Olympic" AP there are a whole lot of new and used options. Moving over to the Olympic Pistol section will give all the info you could possibly want.
xpshooter

Post by xpshooter »

Hello,

I just checked the e-mails and I have been in contact with Manuala from Steyr from June 27th and the last e-mail I recieved was on 8/18/11.

I will say that Manuela has been great at answering all of my questions in the 8 e-mails I sent him. He always replied within 24 hrs except when he was on vacation.

I have also been in contact with Scott Pilkington from Pilkguns from July 14th and the last one I recieved was 8/2/11

I would hope the trigger and/or electronics would be swapped out for the revised editions at no charge once they are available. I was told that a mechanical trigger could be installed in the LP50E. But an electronic trigger could not go into a mechanical trigger gun.

I would like to get a LP50E with the shroud cut for a optic ring like the pic (if it's attached) so I can mount a burris fastfire off to the side at a 45 deg angle so I can use red dot or the iron sights without having to remove the red dot.

It sounds like Pilkguns has Steyr do the machining for this mod. I am very fussy and I would like the slot to be milled with a rounded end mill so that it matches the three slots in the top of the shroud.

Extra info for those interested Steyr produces about 600 LP50's a year, I am not sure how many have been electronic.
The individual with the LP50E that I talked to was told his was the second one that Pilkguns sold.

Hopefully Steyr gets the problem resolved soon. I am getting anxious.

Have a Nice Day,

xpshooter
Attachments
weaver cut.jpg
weaver cut.jpg (10.67 KiB) Viewed 8429 times
Weaver mount.jpg
Weaver mount.jpg (9.32 KiB) Viewed 8429 times
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I question the efficiency of changing my arm postition with an offset sight compared to removing the optic to keep my postion the same. The extra cost of your set up may be better spent for the purchase of a second pistol dedicated to optics or metallic sights.
xpshooter

Post by xpshooter »

Hi,
I can see your concern, but with any optic you will have to adjust position compared to using the iron sights and the $25 mount is much cheaper than another $3000 air pistol.

I do not think I am anywhere good enough to notice a difference in this aspect. I wish I was.

However you did make me realize that a a red dot could possibly be mounted in line with the sights and just not turned on if I do not wish to see the red rod.
In this case the iron sight picture would be hampered a bit because one would have to look through the optic.

xpshooter
investorsc

Any updates on availability of the LP50E with the updates?

Post by investorsc »

Just checking in.... Hoping they get these things moving in our direction...I really don't see another good option to the LP50E- any input?

Thanks,

Bruce
xpshooter

Post by xpshooter »

Hi,

I checked with Steyr within the last month and they still do not have the LP50E trigger fixed.

I was told when it shows up on the homepage at steyr they will be available. It is tricky because if you go past the homepage they have informaion upon it.

This is the page it would need to show up on :

http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/index.p ... ir-pistols

But then again their web site is goofed up because, on the LP50E page they show a silver shroud and the LP50 & LP50E are only black. Plus the picture of the trigger showing the ball bearing in the frame is not a LP50 but it's a LP10. The LP50 does not get the ball bearing trigger.

Have a Good Day,

xpshooter
investorsc

Thanks XP

Post by investorsc »

Thanks XP. I got this back from Manuela this am. I did not realize the wide range on the LP-50E trigger adjustment...

Dear Bruce,

Thanks for your E-Mail.

We are testing the LP50 E at the moment and do not take orders for it.

But about your issues with the trigger: I think the best solution would be if you only have one trigger and you adjust it as you need it. The electronic trigger is variable from 150g – 1500g.

It is not so easy to install and uninstall the electronic trigger, so the setting would be the best solution.

Best wishes,

Manuela

Manuela Weinzerl
Global Sales
xpshooter

Post by xpshooter »

Hi investorsc,

Thanks for the update, I was actually going to ask if I could get a LP50E with a manual trigger installed and then whan they figure the electronics out I would buy the electronic trigger. The Steyr videos do not make it look that complicated to change the trigger. The reason I would have to go this way is a LP50 can not be converted to an electronic trigger, but the LP50E will accept the manual trigger.

It is good to have others inquire about the LP50E, this way they will reailze we are waiting for them.

xpshooter
investorsc

Post by investorsc »

I like that idea..... I would be open to that. It would actually help with my application- I don't really need the electronic trigger for the Bullseye practice- I would order the 4 lb. mechanical, and then use the standard air pistol electronic for AP practice and matches....

Seems to be a challenge though...

Bruce
investorsc

Bought a New LP50

Post by investorsc »

I couldn't wait any longer. I just got me brand new LP50. I will get an "E" model when they are avail. The LP50 I received has the "Cut" for mounting a single ring for red dot already there from the Factory (I did not get it from Pilk- They had no LP50's avail.)..

Bruce
xpshooter

Post by xpshooter »

Congratulations upon your purchase. I would be interested as to you opinions upon the trigger and how much room there is for improvment with the electronic trigger.

Unfortunatly I think I will continue the wait for the electronic version.

xphooter
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I would be interested to know what people who have the new LP50e think of the trigger as well. I hope Pilkington has some at Camp Perry to check out.