Is the problem just my ammo or technique?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Tim S

Post by Tim S »

rstriano wrote:I have some shot groups that are 4mm and get as big as 8mm. That measurement if from widest diameter of the entire hole the bullets are making. 4mm is the best i have ever done looks like all 5 bullets went through 1 1/2 the size of a bull with only one shot taken on it.
.22 bullet holes in paper targets are actually slighly smaller than the size of the bullet - hence a 4mm hole made by a 5.6mm bullet. When scoring paper targets in compeition, scorers will use a brass gauge to determine the value of shots that fall near the edge of scoring rings as you can't do this accurately by eye, The gauge is a brass probe with a calibre-sized flange that shows where the actual edge of the shot is.

still a 4mm hole (prpbably a little over 1/4in edge to edge) is pretty small.
rstriano

Thanks Kenny and Rob

Post by rstriano »

OK i get the point: I didn't mean to sound cocky. How can i shoot a 5 shot group smaller than the ammunition i am using and obviously i can't. .22 inches is 5.5888 millimeters. BUT the hole in the paper is 4mm x 4mm?

I understand the bullet size so i went and shot single shots into a VisiShot target and the single shot measures exactly 2mm and 3mm.

So i guess the bullet hole in papaer is smaller than the bullet?

Anyway, thanks for the clarity as i have not put 5 shots in the same hole ..... i am a beginner but i do shoot 6 hours per weekend and i have come close.

So, what is a great group?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Ah!
The joys of doing ballistic testing on an electronic target!
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Hi rstriano,
yes, the actual hole is smaller than the bullet which punches out the center but then the sides of the bullet just push back the paper out to the diameter of the round.
So when we measure, it's from the outside of the "paper damage". Sometimes it's quite difficult to accurately assess where the edge of the bullet passed through the target - the paper tears or doesn't break cleanly but with practice you can make a guess. Or use a gauge for scoring purposes.
If you've underestimated by (at most) 3.5mm then your worst groups at 50m are still 16mm or less and the best groups are pretty impressive (at say 7-10mm). Not too shabby - beginner or not.

So when the weather improves and you get to shoot prone, you can be confident that your equipment is up to scratch.

K.

BTW: Here are a couple of groups from a (supposedly) good rifle during testing:

10 shot group (12.2mm):

40 shot group (15.2mm):

michal006

Post by michal006 »

Just beat it after a few tries. I'm on PS3, but I don't think it matters as the two games are pretty much identical. I have a plasma cutter, which I only used to shoot Nicole the first few times until the marker opened up and showed its heart/core. Then I shot the core/heart with my pulse rifle, which is fully upgraded on ammo capacity and damage. Then once the core/hear closed and the little shadow monsters showed up, I switched to my force gun, which was about halfway upgraded. I used the force gun on the little shadow guys (great for taking out a larger number of them in one shot) and alternately used it on Nicole until the heart/core showed itself again and then switched back to my pulse rifle again to shoot the core. After 3 cycles of shooting the core with the pulse rifle, that was it. It took me 7 or 8 attempts before I figured out what worked the best for me, but once I got it I beat it in less than 5 minutes. The main key for me was to keep moving when the shadow guys showed up so they wouldn't jump on my back, and then as soon as the core/heart opened up ignore everything else and just wail on it with the pulse rifle.

dish network info
find satellite tv deals