Abandoning shots

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Abandoning shots

Post by toddinjax »

Hey all,

About what percentage of shots do you accomplished 10m folks abandon? I would assume when the replies come in that mine rate should be considerably higher. Thanks, todd.
lastman

Post by lastman »

I honestly couldn't tell you how often I abort a shot. I don't think many shooters would record how often they abort a shot.

Needless to say, it changes a lot. In training, where there's no pressure, I can get through a lot of shots without aborting at all.

At the start of a big high pressure match, it can be as many as 6 or 7 out of 10.

I do find once I get into the flow of a match I abort a lot less shots.

Good luck
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I abort a great deal less than I should.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Todd,
Nobody can tell you how many shots you should abort but you. The amount isn't important. What is important is recognizing when you need to put the gun down AND THEN DO IT!!! When you feel that it is time you should put the gun down right now. The amount is going to vary with your focus. When you have those good days that you can shoot and have nothing in your head but shooting you will have less. The days that you put the gun up and then wonder what you are going to have for dinner you will have a lot more. Scott
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As the above posters really. It varies from not at all to 3 or 4 times in a 10-shot series. It's all about what's going on in your head predominantly, if I get brain fog then I'll abort a lot. If I'm in the zone, concentrating only on the shot process and then the sights then I abort very few or none.

Rob.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Aborting a shot has to be a positive process because once you have decided to abort, you need to follow precisely the abort process, finger off the trigger and then drop down off the target. Not the other way round or you risk the shot going off and it will normally hit the target and cost you dearly, scorewise.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

deadeyedick wrote:I abort a great deal less than I should.
Boy, does that sound familiar! Last night in a league match, I was holding too long and my brain was saying "put it down" about the time I shot a 6...
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Gwhite wrote:
deadeyedick wrote:I abort a great deal less than I should.
Boy, does that sound familiar! Last night in a league match, I was holding too long and my brain was saying "put it down" about the time I shot a 6...
Ah well that's a lesson learnt then. Put the gun down and start again. An aborted shot is still a potential 10, a poor shot obviously isn't...

Rob.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I'd estimate 20-25%. But it does not matter. Rob Stubbs is right. If there is any doubt, put the gun down. Put it down, let it go, sit down for a minute.

Then stand up refreshed and shoot the 10.
Lior

Post by Lior »

Mike M. wrote:I'd estimate 20-25%. But it does not matter. Rob Stubbs is right. If there is any doubt, put the gun down. Put it down, let it go, sit down for a minute.

After sitting down, do you have to recheck your natural point of aim with eyes shut before attempting a shot?
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Lior wrote:
Mike M. wrote:I'd estimate 20-25%. But it does not matter. Rob Stubbs is right. If there is any doubt, put the gun down. Put it down, let it go, sit down for a minute.

After sitting down, do you have to recheck your natural point of aim with eyes shut before attempting a shot?
Not usually, but I'm careful to put my feet back in the same places. I've seen shooters actually take tape or chalk and mark where their feet go. That being said, there is nothing wrong and much right with rechecking your body position.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Mike M. wrote:...I've seen shooters actually take tape or chalk and mark where their feet go...
Some Judges will see this as a breach of 6.3.6.3.5.

In any case, as a matter of courtesy the shooter should remove any marking before leaving the range. I have seen some firing points that look like badly crafted graffiti skribble.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Last evening I picked a position at my club for the lighting on the target - a better white bulb than the yellowed ones around it. But a few times during the session I found myself distracted by heavily drawn black toe outlines which someone had put there, a much wider stance than mine, at a slightly different angle, and with the front foot just slightly off from my preferred position. My dishearteningly slow recovery from a shoulder injury was of course to blame for my unsteady aim and a 522 score on the final 6 targets, but this small distraction of Sharpie markings on the floor bugged me. No easy way to get that off cement. So yeah, use masking tape or chalk, preferably masking tape.
Rover

Post by Rover »

What the hell are you loooking at your fet for? You know where they are!
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

ha ha ha, very funny Rover. One does (or at least I do, maybe you've got superhuman circulation) walk around once in a while, for a stretch and a rest, and re-establishment of foot alignment is something I tend to bother with once back at the line.
wdbaobei

Post by wdbaobei »

With the front foot just slightly off from my preferred position. My dishearteningly slow recovery from a shoulder injury was of course to blame for my unsteady aim and a 522 score on the final 6 targets, but this small distraction of Sharpie markings on the floor bugged me.

Post by RobStubbs »

Mike M. wrote:Not usually, but I'm careful to put my feet back in the same places. I've seen shooters actually take tape or chalk and mark where their feet go. That being said, there is nothing wrong and much right with rechecking your body position.
Apart from Spencers point around dubious legality, it is technically a poor thing to do;

Your body position settles and changes slightly as you shoot <even if fully warmed up and stretched beforehand>, so your NPA at the start of the match will not be your NPA at the end.

Rob.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

That is an excellent observation Rob. Especially since hurting my shoulder last summer I've seen my stance shift towards the target by more than an inch through a session of shooting. Closer to 2 sometimes if my neck and shoulder tighten a lot.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Is there a NPA if it keeps moving around on you? I think not!

Don Nygord told me very plainly that is no such thing. On his website, Brian Zins says the same.

I see no problem in taking a break, moving around, regrasping the gun if you're not comfortable.

While uniformity is important, because we are "meat machines" we can never exactly duplicate ANY aspect of of this. Just try to be comfortable in your approach.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Sorry to dredge up an old post but now that I've a bit more experience under my belt, I do note that it is a great feeling to abandon a shot, regroup, then hit a deep 10. I'll keep working on that!