How does the 2013 Action index the barrel rotationally?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Redwagon

How does the 2013 Action index the barrel rotationally?

Post by Redwagon »

I've never taken a close look at a 2013 action/bolt, much less removed the barrel. I understand the clamping system and how its headspaced, but unsure how the barrel is indexed radially/rotationally, and how is that maintained, especially if using a barrel with front sight grooves/dovetail machined in?

Is it a coned breech or are there slots for the extractors in it? And a pin with a slot to index or? Or is the whole thing radially indexable and folks use a front sight that clamps around the outside of the muzzle?

and I read about guys wanting to index based on inherent curvature of the barrel, so that must be doable.......

help me understand this please...... :-)
thanks!

Tim
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Easiest way is a cone breech and an extension tube that clamps on the barrel.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Alternatively...

Clamp the barrel in a solid vise just ahead of the action. That should allow you to rotate the whole barreled action... OK the receiver will be upside down and loading will be a pain, but it is the simplest way and should give you an indication of whether it's worth the effort.
It's probably best to avoid playing with the action clamps if you can avoid it.

Difficult way would be removing the extractor claws from the bolt and getting the spent cases out manually... not pretty but possible if you really want to try it. Lots of variables to control though.

When clamping the barrel (either in a vise or in the 2013 action) it might be worth (carefully) pushing a slug through it to see if you've caused a constriction in the bore. Apparently you can feel the resistance if the clamp is causing a tight spot and this may be detrimental.
Then again, Kevin Nevius has posted elsewhere that he's seen a significant number of barrels damaged by inexperienced people slugging them - so maybe not...

Much information on Mike Ross's site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/Smallbore/messages

Proceed with caution.
KB
Redwagon

Post by Redwagon »

thanks. I guess I asked a lot of questions at once.

1. does the stock anschutz 2013 barrel have a conical breech end or does it have extractor slots.

2. if it has extractor slots cut, then how is it indexed?

thanks!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The factory 2013s I've seen all have the standard breech face with slots cut for extractors. I'm not sure if any attempts are made to index the barrel, beyond ensuring that the foresight grooves (if cut prior to breeching) are at 12 o'clock. I imagine the rifles are assembled (bolts are only introduced after the action and barrel are mated) and then test fired.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Yes, the factory 2013 will have extractor cuts.

If you want to rotate the factory barrel in the action you'll have to remove the extractor claws from the bolt and fish out the spent cases with a jeweler's screwdriver. Not for the faint hearted and probably pointless unless you intend re-cutting the extractor slots afterwards...

As Tim says, Anschutz probably wouldn't bother indexing their barrels.

If it's shooting OK then it's probably best left alone.

KB.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Aftermarket drop in barrels, such as those from Lilja, are in fact conical breech and come without sight grooves. Only way to tell where the barrel is turned is by looking at the logo.