Jumping in to Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
AlphaDSierra

Jumping in to Pistol

Post by AlphaDSierra »

Hi all,

I was hoping for any advice you could give me on jumping into Air Pistol.

I'm a US Distinguished Rifleman, so I'm familiar with competition shooting.

I'm wondering how I can get started off right, equipment-wise, shooting position-wise, ect.

My plan was to get a SCATT trainer, and a Morini 162 for equipment.

My main concern is getting the pistol shooting fundamentals right, I won't have a whole lot of access to a range/club or coaching. When I did rifle, I was in a much better situation for shooting (as a junior).

Any tips or recommendations would be much appreciated!
Russ

Airgun Training Camp at Camp Perry

Post by Russ »

You can try this event:

People can register online at:
http://www.targetshooting.ca/tsc_camp2012.htm

The camp takes place from Friday, Feb. 3rd (evening meeting), until Sunday, Feb. 5th (afternoon departure). The fee is $150 per person and includes range fees, food (Sat.: breakfast, lunch, dinner; Sun: breakfast, lunch), shared accommodations and group coaching. Participants are required to provide transportation to and from the event.

Since this is in the USA (Camp Perry in Port Clinton, Ohio), every person will require necessary documents to cross the border (passport or enhanced Drivers' License). Additionally, upon return, individuals may require firearms licenses for airguns with muzzle velocities that exceed 500 fps. Closest Canadian airport is Windsor, ON, which is a 1 hour drive from the camp. Alternatively, you could fly into London, ON, which is a three hour drive to the camp. As well, you could fly into Detroit, Michigan.

The camp will provide structured group coaching. The two head coches (ISSF "C" License Pistol Coach, Pistol Coach for the Canadian Forces CISM Pistol Team) and Marcus Raab (ISSF "A" License Rifle Coach, USA Junior Olympic Rifle Team Coach, former Head Rifle Coach for Thailand). There will be other coaches available onsite as well.

The main goal of the camp is to provide a training experience for intermediate to advanced shooting athletes. Unfortunately, at the National level, training camps aren't taking place. My goal is to provide an experience for athletes and help them learn to train when they get home.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

On the equipment side, if you really want a Morini and can afford one, great. No need to spend that much though. And really no need for a SCATT up front either. Many of us started off with a Baikal IZH46m, FWB 65, or similar lower dollar alternative.

As for position, it's open to interpretation. You want to stand square to the target and have your arm at a 90* angle like some Chinese shooters, go for it. You want to stand parallel to the target and have your arm in a straight line, you can do that too. Most shooters find that standing somewhere between the 2 is the most comfortable. Want your feet wide? Great, go for it. New data suggests that a stance no wider than 6" with a 15% angle between the feet might be better than other options so maybe try that. Pistol position is very UN-regimented, not like Rifle positions at all.

The most important aspect of shooting, that being mental, is the same between rifle and pistol though. The physical stuff will be stupid simple, just do what's comfortable. If you're really concerned, then watch ISSF TV to see how other, top level shooters, are positioning themselves. Were I starting over again, I'd spend more time on getting the right grip (have custom now and love it) to ensure repeatable sight alignment.

Good luck and have fun. WAY nicer to head to the range with a 3lb pistol than 80lb of rifle and accessory gear. :)
AlphaDSierra

Post by AlphaDSierra »

The reason I planned on the SCATT was in order to use it as my range, I don't have a full 10m indoors at this point unfortunately.

Thanks for the insights though.
AlphaDSierra

Post by AlphaDSierra »

I've been looking more into it, and I'm wondering what I could use for an air supply. What do I need to look for in a big tank?

Also, are there any good books on this type of pistol shooting that I could look at? Unfortunately I won't be able to make it up to Camp Perry.

Thanks again
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

http://www.pilkguns.com/scuba1.shtml will explain your air question.
This is a copy of a previous book post I made: Are there any good books about pistol shooting? I often see this question come up on Target Talk. The answers always include Competitive Shooting by A. A. Yur’yev. Another is the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit’s Pistol Marksmanship Training Guide. I have enjoyed reading The Pistol Shooter’s Treasury, a collection of great articles by world champion shooters edited by Gil Hebard.

I highly recommend A Shooter’s Guide To Pistol Marksmanship by Allan Lozsan. Mr. Lozsan has recently published a revised edition of his excellent book. His writing style is very easy to understand. The chapters in the book cover such essential skills as stance, breath, sighting, follow through, and even how to do grip modifications. He has a chapter that covers all of our different types of matches. There is an “Improving Performance” chapter that is loaded with must have information. There is a chapter devoted entirely to mental skills which is very worthwhile. You can find ordering information for his book at www.pistol-shooting.com . Once there you will find great information on his website as well as ordering instructions for his book. Note that a discount exists for multiple copies.

All you really need to know is how to properly focus on the front sight and apply the trigger so as not to disturb the sight. All of the above books and manual sure make it a lot more interesting and a longer read.

I agree with Brian about the Scatt. Dry fire up close will be more cost effective and beneficial than a Scatt will be at this time imho.

Many will also suggest you physically handle/shoot various air pistols to find what you "think" suits you and the fit with your hand.

The search function on this forum can help your search for answers.

I have to ask--how did you come about the AlphaDSierra? As a very old pilot it had some very negative connotations in the flying game.

Come see us in the woods.
Jack
Rover

Post by Rover »

Quick and dirty short range: shoot at 50' .22 rifle targets at 5 or 6 yards pinned to a box of rags. All you're concerned with is small groups.

Buy a Pardini K58, FWB 65, FAS 604, or IZH 46M. No tanks, no problems. You don't need anything else for your purpose.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

Despite the quick and dirty assumptions made by others, I suspect you are the only one who really knows your "purpose"

You are likely to love the 162 .....much the same way most top level Olympians on down to casual shooters do. While you may be new to AP, your credentials suggest your decsion to start with top fliight equipment is a wise choice. The 162 will maintain its value very well If you later decide t sell it. Steyr's line of APs are also excellent.

Jack's recitation of reading material is equally top notch. Good luck and welcome to a wonderful endeavor.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

ADS,

My sincere apologies for not welcoming you to the sport! Welcome!

Come see us in the woods.
Jack
Russ

Post by Russ »

Dear AlphaDSierra,

If you have in mind to get yourself involved in competitive activities, I strongly recommend you to receive professional help at the early stage of developing your fundamentals.

If competitive performance is not your first priority, reading books and forums can be a good informational source for your development.

I do not see too many clinics in Olympic style target shooting. This is why I strongly suggest anyone who is looking to participate not only in competitions, but in finals as well through seeking knowledge not only by investing in equipment and tools (pistols).

My best wishes,
Russ