Walther LG300 vs LG400

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

yana

Walther LG300 vs LG400

Post by yana »

What are the differences between those 2(except for stocks)?
Do they fit the same stocks?
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

I have seen a LG-300 in and LG-400 stock. it was a prototype being used by Sonja Pheilshifter.

The big difference between the 2 is the adjustable recoil absorber. The shooter can set the amount of kick he/she feels by turning a small knob on the action near the breech. I believe it goes from completely dead to a kick you would feel from a pneumatic. I like that because I have always felt that recoil absorbers are 'too' efficiant which deprives the shooter of any feed back.
I'm sure Robin Carter can help out more here with more details as he has an LG-400.

Hope this helps

Peter
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

hey, since we're on the topic of adjustable recoil, i was wondering, does anyone know if the fwb p700 also has this feature? the manual says you can adjust the absorbing device so does that mean you can adjust the recoil?

thanks!

-Jordan
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

in the manual of lg400 Walther does not mention any knob for absorber adjustment. there is however a setscrew (number 34) that perhaps is used to adjust the absorber.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Hi
I have an LG400 alutec and my wife an LG300 Junior Wooden stock. The action on the 400 is slightly different with a magnetic absorber against the XT system on the 300. Shooting wise they feel no different, the absorber is technically adjustable but its not an out side adjuster job, its a technician job.
The 400 has a different loading lever that does not impinge on the sights as can the 300 in some sight positions. but basically its more of an update on the principle of the 300. I think the 400 trigger is also updated and it certainly is a superb trigger although the 300 is pretty good as well.
The 400 alutec stock is definately a great improvement over the old alutec, its very adjustable and more user friendly to get ballance and size set up. And Yes the 300 action will just bolt into the 400.
I got the 400 as I was in the market for a new rifle and prefered the new stock, my wife (who is a better shot) has tried mine and is now considering getting one so I think the details do make a little difference, but rifles are so personal I think a lot of it is irrelavent.
Good Shooting
Robin
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

The FWB 700 absorber adjustment is to re set it to its default position if its ever disturbed on strip down or to take into consideration any wear that may take place over a long period.

JSB
yana

Post by yana »

Thanks Robin thats very helpfull! I now own a LG300 pre-XT.
I can hold still the new LG400 competition véry well, better than my LG300, but cant afford the $$. Hence my question regarding stock fitting.
robf

Post by robf »

RobinC wrote:Hi
I have an LG400 alutec and my wife an LG300 Junior Wooden stock. The action on the 400 is slightly different with a magnetic absorber against the XT system on the 300. Shooting wise they feel no different, the absorber is technically adjustable but its not an out side adjuster job, its a technician job.
The 400 has a different loading lever that does not impinge on the sights as can the 300 in some sight positions. but basically its more of an update on the principle of the 300. I think the 400 trigger is also updated and it certainly is a superb trigger although the 300 is pretty good as well.
The 400 alutec stock is definately a great improvement over the old alutec, its very adjustable and more user friendly to get ballance and size set up. And Yes the 300 action will just bolt into the 400.
I got the 400 as I was in the market for a new rifle and prefered the new stock, my wife (who is a better shot) has tried mine and is now considering getting one so I think the details do make a little difference, but rifles are so personal I think a lot of it is irrelavent.
Good Shooting
Robin
Hey Robin, if you're with it and a camera some day, i'd be interested to see some of it... especially around the regulator area ;)... I won't ask you to pull it off just yet though :D
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Hi Rob
No Problem, there are loads of good close ups of it on the Walther website
but if there is a specific area you want so see let me know and I'll take some pics. I presume your're thinking of building an FT version as I know you have gone over to the dark side!
I'm also looking to build an LG300/400 special as my wife loves the ergonomics of her LG 300 Junior but likes the trigger and other features of my 400 so we're at this moment trying to get an action only to build an LG 400 Wood stocked Junior.
Let me know what specific areas and directions you want to see Rob and I'll see what I can do. Contact me on robin.carter80@ntlworld.com
Good shooting and a Happy New Year
Robin
oddsonjjf

lg 400

Post by oddsonjjf »

Hey guys... my son has a LG400 w/ the insight-out sight. Anyone have any issues with the sight?? Having to send his back to the distributor due to adjustment issues regarding retaining aspects. Any insight (ha-ha) would be appreciated
yana

Post by yana »

Robin, apart from the better adjustability etc, is there any difference balance and weight wise, between the LG300 alutec and the LG400 alutec?
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

yana wrote:Robin, apart from the better adjustability etc, is there any difference balance and weight wise, between the LG300 alutec and the LG400 alutec?
Stock wise the LG400 is much better, it is lighter and that allows more scope for ballance adjustment, a personal view but I think its a lot better.
The LG 400 action is claimed to have a faster lock time, the trigger is certainly superb, but there's not a lot wrong with the 300's. A good shooter can feel the improvement in a reduced vibration (recoil is too strong a word).
Unless you are shooting at the highest level you will not notice much difference, but that does not mean its not better, it just means that like comparisons from one make to another its down to a greater extent to personal preference and your ability.
As for the sight we are both using the Walther standard sight not the in-sight, its great, no problems, and being mean I saw no sense in paying more to replace something that works perfectly!

I am now putting an LG400 Expert action, system, and barrel, etc, into a LG300 Junior wooden stock as my wife after trying mine wanted an LG 400 but prefered her stock that she is used to.
Robin
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I just got a LG400 Alutec this week. My initial sessions with the rifle are very positive. I really think the cheek piece is more comfortable that the Anschutz Precise. The triggers are excellent on both models. I like to invest time on one rifle, so I am not a fan of a huge rifle collection. I will pick one to keep, but it is a real race right now.