GSP advice required

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Leon

GSP advice required

Post by Leon »

Having just sold my Pardini, I'm in the market for a new 22 pistol.

As I'm not too impressed with the current crop of standard pistols ( flimsy construction, over-priced etc ) I've decoded to purchase a pistol that I've always wanted - a Walther GSP ( not the Expert ).

Second-hand examples in Australia are over-priced and well-worn so I'm going to import a new old stock GSP made in the late nineties from Europe. Taking into account the purchase price, shipping etc, I should be able to get it into the country for about half the price of Morinis, SSPs etc.

The question is -are the late nineties versions of the GSP OK or should I look for something more recent/earlier etc? Which version has the really good trigger?
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I have a late-ish GSP with .22 and .32 barrel assemblies, and both types of trigger. I believe the earlier trigger is favoured. This is the one in which the trigger blade is connected to the mechanism at its bottom. I don't think there's much difference between the feel of my triggers. I suppose a top-level shooter, looking for every nano-advantage would have a preference for the earlier one.

I, similarly, was drawn to the GSP for a long time, but was disappointed when I got mine, second-hand, but not worn. I just can't make the .22 shoot as well as my other pistols. I'm sure it will be a whole lot better when I make a better grip for it, but, having recently got .22 and .32 versions of the Benelli MP 90 S, there's little incentive to shoot the GSP. The Benelli certaintly ain't flimsy. See my other post to another Aussie about it.
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

Just curious... any particular reason you sold the Pardini? How old was it? What matches do you shoot?
Leon

Post by Leon »

About a year old. Shot Standard with it. Found it too front-heavy for me now as I have shoulder joint problems. But, it was 100% reliable and I never had any sort of malfunction with it.
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

Presumably too front heavy even with the weights removed? Fair enough.

Is the GSP much lighter up front?
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

i find the gsp more front heavy than pardini. and it shows an the scale. usually weights 1250gr.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

If you found the Pardini front heavy I doubt you'll find much relief from a GSP, I've shot GSPs for a long time and it's more front heavy than the Pardini.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

The older GSPs with the thinner barrel seemed OK to me, and the grip is less raked so they are less effort to hold upright.

I've thought about one also...