Grip and the M9

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Orion

Grip and the M9

Post by Orion »

I'm having some recent concerns holding a steady grip with my M9. Does anyone have any readings on the subject?

Seems like every shot after the 3rd I have tendencies to want to realign my hand. Also, I'll shoot timed fire strings of 5, then change my grip, re-fire a string, re-grip, and so forth, trying to find my natural alignment.

I don't have this problem with my 1911 or 22, just my M9. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

What kind of results are you getting? Is the gun grouping for you? I know the double stack magazine makes the Beretta fatter and harder to hold than a 1911, If you can keep your grip consistent for five shots there should not be a problem. You can regrip the gun in between strings. How are you doing in slow fire? Have you practiced with the gun at 50 yards and on the short line with a turning target?
I am not trying to discount your issues with your grip. Just suggesting that if you are getting good results it may be a non problem, and if you are not training under match conditions, you may have bigger worries.
I don't have particularly large hands and I don't have many issues with my grip on the Beretta unless I try to hold it too hard and control it too much in slow fire. Over gripping freezes my trigger finger which is a big problem. The biggest issue most people have with the Beretta is getting aggressive enough on the trigger to get good results in sustained fire. You may want to work with your trigger finger position and adjust your grip to facilitate more trigger. When you have a four pound trigger, the more finger you use, the easier it will be to pull it back smoothly and quickly. Also, I find keeping my thumb totally off the gun seems to help.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Isabel1130 wrote:What kind of results are you getting? Is the gun grouping for you? I know the double stack magazine makes the Beretta fatter and harder to hold than a 1911, If you can keep your grip consistent for five shots there should not be a problem. You can regrip the gun in between strings. How are you doing in slow fire? Have you practiced with the gun at 50 yards and on the short line with a turning target?
I am not trying to discount your issues with your grip. Just suggesting that if you are getting good results it may be a non problem, and if you are not training under match conditions, you may have bigger worries.
I don't have particularly large hands and I don't have many issues with my grip on the Beretta unless I try to hold it too hard and control it too much in slow fire. Over gripping freezes my trigger finger which is a big problem. The biggest issue most people have with the Beretta is getting aggressive enough on the trigger to get good results in sustained fire. You may want to work with your trigger finger position and adjust your grip to facilitate more trigger. When you have a four pound trigger, the more finger you use, the easier it will be to pull it back smoothly and quickly. Also, I find keeping my thumb totally off the gun seems to help.
When I'm not training, I'm training. I think my hands could be too small for the Beretta grip, not sure at this point - need to head back to the range.. However the DoD wouldn't incorporate a pistol for the services if the average person couldn't use it effectively. Thinking out loud..

My M9 was dropped in with a KKM NM by Dave Salyer, it holds groups with any ammo at 25.

As I work my finger position back for fourth, I either loose handing of the pistol or freedom of my trigger finger.. This is the problem. Where should the back-part of the gun be in proportion part of the fatness of your bottom thumb? Hmm.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

The 9mm is a wrist snapper because of it's pressure curve. The lower pressure of the 1911 makes it an arm mover and will not torque the grip as much as a 9mm. You feel like changing grip position because your grip is not riding as high as when you started the string. Sharp stippling on the front of the grip and rear backstrap will prevent a slipping grip. I have even stippled the front grip on my HS Victor for those muggy hi-temp days. Remember the little pinky just rides on the grip, and the next two fingers do all the gripping so the pressure on the grip rides higher in comparison to the bore, for less wrist snapping recoil. Hope this helps.
Chris
orion_134

Post by orion_134 »

When I notice that my grip wants to shift on a gun, it's because I was trying to make an improper grip work. If your handgrip isn't a vice to hold the pistol in one place, the fat of your palms pretty much allows for one position and that's with the backstrap of the gun in the crease between the fatty portions of the palm. Try letting it slip into that position, and then take some dryfire shots and see if you like and go from there. Not good practice to need to realign after every 3rd shot when you need to stay consistent for 5 shots in sustained fire strings.
JMO,
Jesse
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I didn't explain myself very well. the ultimate goal is to deliver a good string of shots on target. What I wanted to know, is when you feel your grip slipping, where are your last two shots going or do you stop in the middle of the string to adjust your grip? A grip is only part of the process to deliver five good shots on target.
I agree, the 9mm is a wrist snapper with the quick recoil. It is important is to shoot with a firm wrist, but not so tight a hand that you freeze your trigger finger. You need to experiment with your grip a little to see if you can find a better position that will allow your arm to absorb the recoil without disturbing your grip. A Zins grip might allow you to do that.
tedh

Post by tedh »

Brian Zins uses a different grip than most shooters. According to reports it works well for people whose hands are to small for a traditional grip.
You may want to investigate that.
Orion

Post by Orion »

tedh wrote:Brian Zins uses a different grip than most shooters. According to reports it works well for people whose hands are to small for a traditional grip.
You may want to investigate that.
Yes I working with techniques he describes, although I never used them on the 1911, I'll be using them on my M9. Yes, its a M9, not 92fs ;-)