Walther SSP fails first shot

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bjornz

Walther SSP fails first shot

Post by bjornz »

Hello,

I just bought myself a new Walther SSP and took it to the shooting range for the first time today. I fired 100 shots, but 4 shots did'n't go off. These 4 shots were the top bullets in the magazine. I wonder what's going on, i loaded the magazines according to the manual. There was a mark at the back of the bullet casing, so the striker did hit the bullet, but it seems it didn't hit it hard enough. Shots 2-5 from the same magazine always fired correctly. Does this problem sound familiar to someone? I hope there's a solution for this problem. Thanks in advance!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It may just need a little "breaking in". When the magazine is full, the top is under more spring pressure and may be slowing down the slide. The next round also pushes up on the slide with a bit more force than when a few rounds are fired. This could prevent the slide from closing fully, and you get a light hit because the hammer is spending too much of its energy closing the slide the rest of the way.

It could also be the way you are closing the slide on the first round. Some people hang onto the slide a bit and slow it down. If you use the slide release, or pull it back all the way & let go, it should cycle normally. I'm not familiar with the details of the SSP, so I don't know how likely an issue this might be.

Anyway, the symptom is consistent with a little too much drag some place. Did you lubricate it? The factory lube may have dried out a bit.

I'd clean it, oil it, and shoot it at least 500 rounds before I'd worry too much. That should polish up the sliding surfaces a bit. Also check the magazine feed lips for burrs. If possible, try different magazines & see if the problem is just with one or all of them.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Did you close the slide gently or just relese the hold-open catch.

I believe that the latter is recommended.
bjornz

Post by bjornz »

Gwhite wrote:It may just need a little "breaking in". When the magazine is full, the top is under more spring pressure and may be slowing down the slide. The next round also pushes up on the slide with a bit more force than when a few rounds are fired. This could prevent the slide from closing fully, and you get a light hit because the hammer is spending too much of its energy closing the slide the rest of the way.

It could also be the way you are closing the slide on the first round. Some people hang onto the slide a bit and slow it down. If you use the slide release, or pull it back all the way & let go, it should cycle normally. I'm not familiar with the details of the SSP, so I don't know how likely an issue this might be.

Anyway, the symptom is consistent with a little too much drag some place. Did you lubricate it? The factory lube may have dried out a bit.

I'd clean it, oil it, and shoot it at least 500 rounds before I'd worry too much. That should polish up the sliding surfaces a bit. Also check the magazine feed lips for burrs. If possible, try different magazines & see if the problem is just with one or all of them.
Thanks for your reply. What do you need by 'breaking in'? I didn't lubricate it before I went shooting. I did after I came back home. I will go to the range next tuesday again, will let you know if it makes any difference.
bjornz

Post by bjornz »

David Levene wrote:Did you close the slide gently or just relese the hold-open catch.

I believe that the latter is recommended.
I used the plastic grip to release the slide and just let it slide back. Other question: what is the recommended way to de-cock the gun?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Another thing is be careful when loading the magazine into the gun, press down on the lips and not the top bullet. if you push on the bullet it can be dislodged into a position where it doesn't load properly.

Like was already said take it a apart and throughly clean and lube it. The SSP needs to be cleaned regularly.
bjornz

Post by bjornz »

Richard H wrote:Another thing is be careful when loading the magazine into the gun, press down on the lips and not the top bullet. if you push on the bullet it can be dislodged into a position where it doesn't load properly.

Like was already said take it a apart and throughly clean and lube it. The SSP needs to be cleaned regularly.
Thanks for your reply, I will pay attention to the loading of the magazine.

What's the best way top de-cock this gun? Of course you can dry fire, but is that the only option for this gun?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Make sure its empty put the little blue rubber/plastic thing in and pull the trigger.
bjornz

Post by bjornz »

Richard H wrote:Make sure its empty put the little blue rubber/plastic thing in and pull the trigger.
i assume you mean this little part which says 'remove before firing', thanks!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Mine is a little blue plastic think, theres also one with a long red flag too.
bjornz

Post by bjornz »

went back to the shooting range today and the problem seems to be fixed, I payed extra attention to the loading/inserting of the magazine and lubricated the gun. Thanks for your help guys!