It's been 23 years since I shot ten meters...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Redster

It's been 23 years since I shot ten meters...

Post by Redster »

Recently traded my my ten meter pistol for a Diana 75 T01 HV. In high school I shot ten meters with C02 rifle from a local builder in the Philippines in the mid 80'S. It was school owned rifles as my family can't afford to get me my own rifle. I've only seen German match rifles at comps and from wealthy shooters. Twenty odd years later I finally have one. This is amazingly recoilless for a spring rifle, just like my FT PCP rifle.

It's in great condition as the former owner shoots it a few times a year since he bought it sometime in the mid 80'S. He chronograph it and it shot 576,600, 597,596, 593, 594, 593, 592, 592, 593 FPS. After that I was certain I am getting a working gun. I realize it the seals are old and might go any time. Who do I send this to for new seals?

I shot her off a bag and she's a one hole machine. My ten meter technique for that matter needs working on a lot. It's been a while, can't seem to get my position as steady as I like it to be. I definitely need a shooting glove to support my hand and a shooting jacket. What brand should I go with for just off rack coats and gloves?
Attachments
Diana75.JPG
Diana75HV.JPG
Last edited by Redster on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

It aint broke don't mend it!!!!
I've seen many of these superb ( but complex) old collectors pieces get wrecked by "experts" playing about with them.
Shoot it, enjoy it, if the seals go (not a definate), then fix them!
Good Shooting
Robin
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

For a glove, as long as it fits.

Although it also depends on how you support the rifle. If you can find it, the glove should have a rubber or high friction surface where the rifle is supported, so the rifle does not slip.

I do not shoot competitively, so fully following the rules is not as important.
I use a back belt from Home Depot to support my lower back when I shoot. It is a lot cheaper than a shooting jacket, especially when my waist size seems to constantly change on me.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Pilkguns.com, the hosts of Target Talk, specialize in airgun maintenance and repair. Should your seals start to crap out give them a call.

Good luck in the search for a glove and jacket. There are plenty to choose from, it seems. I wish I could help you there, but I'm only really getting started myself in this game.
Redster

Post by Redster »

I hold my rifle with my left hand the stock forearm between my thumb and index finger or with a fist. But I need a glove for the fist technique. I find that since this rifle is on the heavy side I need a glove that would offer me support besides gripping and stabilizing the rifle. I would like to get the shooting coat as I find that it might be easier to support my left arm from sliding around and stabilize as I take aim. With just a shirt,T shirt it's really hard for me to hold it.The elbow is sliding as it need to grip my side/ hip to take aim and hold it. Sure it has to do a lot with technique, but I wouldn't mind getting the coat if it will only help me.

Any tips on fitting shooting coats? And yes, I do have the same problems of my changing waist size : )
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I forgot to mention.
If you use the fist technique, like I do, you NEED padding or the top of the knuckle WILL get sore. The full weight of the rifle on those 2 knuckles is pretty tough to handle w/o padding. My knuckles hurt for a week, which made me get a padded shooting glove. An old ski glove will work in a pinch.

I use a cheap cotton sweatshirt. There is enough friction that my upper arm does not slide on my ribs.
The other thing that I learned (don't remember from where) was to let your support arm sag. That way it is being help up from the shoulder joint. This puts less emphasis on having the elbow into the waist for support. Besides my arms are short, my elbow does not reach my waist, so I cannot support my elbow on my hip.