Club Membership Costs - Any thoughts?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

How much are you willing to pay for a shooting club membership?

If I could find a club that was *perfect* for my needs, I'd happily pay USD$1000/year or more.
11%
USD$500 to USD$1000 per year is reasonable for good facilities.
5%
Isn't USD$50 to USD$500 the normal range? I'm willing to pay something in that range.
72%
Next to nothing. If it costs more than USD$50 to join, I'll find some public land or other option.
7%
Nothing. I shoot on my land, in my basement, or some other no-cost alternative.
4%
Indoor or outdoor, crude or well-equipped doesn't matter. There is no club close enough for me to use.
2%

Total votes: 57

EJ

Post by EJ »

Yes, that is exactly what I mean and I live in northern Europe.
For that particular club we do have revenues from other sources (rental) so the actual budget is higher. But that part is self sufficient in the sense that it pays for the facilities and the membership dues would then be for running the club.

For the other club $5000 would definitely be enough for a full year. That does imply that we do maintenance ourselves but that part is a minor expense anyway. In our case the expenses go; electricity (mainly heating)<equipment<insurance<taxes<maintenance (this is of course a simplified scheme)
/EJ
nockon

Post by nockon »

I hope this link works, I'm at work and youtube gets blocked

How about this range, I would be curious to know how much it cost to shoot there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyq90LEZe4k&fmt=18
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

nockon wrote:I would be curious to know how much it cost to shoot there...
If I'm reading everything right and at the exchange rate prevailing at the time of this post, the 300m rifle range costs USD$48.44 per hour.

See: http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 4%2Fpreise
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Wow that is some range they have there in Germany. Those prices keep the riffraff out for sure :)

I guess at $48 an hour for a lane plus ammo costs etc the rifles themselves are about the cheapest thing in the long run.
chuckjordan

Post by chuckjordan »

EJ, if I may ask one question? Where are you? 10 minute walk to the range (and it's not on your property), nice!

This is all good information that people posted. I just wish the OP asked us to state where we're from. That can make a difference. One poster was from AZ (or NM?) where there is more open land. I'm on the East Coast and while not in a very densely populated area.

Knowing this information, this can help me decide where to move next.

EJ, where are you located :-)
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

chuckjordan wrote:EJ, if I may ask one question? Where are you?
I asked him the same question and his response was "northern Europe".

And, yes, I should have asked where people were located but I couldn't figure out a way to phrase the question to set up a reasonably small set of responses. Geographic location just adds too many variables for a multiple-choice question. I was hoping people would comment on their location in their responses to the thread since I agree with you that geography plays a big part.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I live in Rhode Island. AFAIK, there are no public ranges in the state.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

About four years ago, I "tried" to join a range that was probably only a
25 minute drive from my house. It was 50 bucks a year and all outdoors. The problem was that I had to bring my own targets and target frames and the benches were not permanent so people tended to move them where they wanted them. I could never be sure where the fifty yard line was and I mostly wanted to shoot a 50 yards to test ammo and work on my slow fire. It took me at least 20 minutes to set up and another 10 or 15 to take stuff down and frankly it just wasn't worth it.
In 2009 I gave up and joined an indoor commercial range that is about an hour from my house and I try to go down once or twice a week. They have a league and one of my traveling friends works there so I have other people to shoot with. The dues are 360 a year but the range is clean, well lit, has computerized turning targets and pretty much meets all my needs, other than a 50 yard line which I have learned to live without.
Fortunately I can take care of most of my practice at the 10 meter line with an air pistol and I do that, and dry firing pretty much every day at home.
shootright

Looking to open Indoor Airgun range in South Scottsdale, AZ.

Post by shootright »

We are looking to open an Airgun range. We are a Jr. club our club is adding adult shooting. We are going to have a Jr. membership of around 20.00 monthly unlimited use and the 25.00 for adult. We are looking to have 12 lanes of 3P target stands and maybe 2 lane for big bore airguns.

Club membership price have not been voted on yet.
Here are some of the shooting programs for Jr's 1-18 for rifle and 7-20 pistol
3 position Rifle sporter class and adding precision (Prone, Standing & Kneeling)
Progressive Position Air Pistol (age Level 7-20)
National Match Air Rifle Sporter, Precision & AR 15 Clone (Same as 3P)

For Adult's
International Air Pistol (Standing only)
National Match Air Rifle Sporter, Precision & AR 15 Clone (Prone, Standing and Sitting)

If we where in your state you shoot? and Join? Input please.
Brian M

Re: Looking to open Indoor Airgun range in South Scottsdale,

Post by Brian M »

shootright wrote:We are going to have a Jr. membership of around 20.00 monthly unlimited use and the 25.00 for adult.

If we where in your state you shoot? and Join? Input please.
Nope, not for $300/year. Not even if it were all electronic target, dedicated "no junior" shooting times and less than 10 minutes drive. Everyone has a different threshold, but for 10m air shooting, it's just too easy to find somewhere free to setup and shoot.

Now, I'd probably be hounding the snot out of you to run monthly matches ($10, or $15 if reported to USAS is the best I've found... I might do $20 if there was a lot of competition ~ not expecting "prizes" out of those costs).

Another option would be a flat-fee league. Say $40 for a 4-month league, held at a certain time (7~10pm, Mondays) which could be practice or match time. Then have monthly matches for those 4 months (40 shot if necessary).

Since my income is nearly non-existent and has been since 2009, my price threshold is probably as low as it'd get. But the numbers are all based on real-world prices I have Actually paid.

Brian
rayjay

Post by rayjay »

River Bend is $300 per year and a one time $600 initiation fee. That $900 first year hit was the best money I ever spent on my shooting. The $300 per year dues are inconsequential when a brick of ammo is over $125.

Maybe out in the sticks you can find cheap dues but in a large metro area I think that $300 is about the norm for a nice club.
latin2

Post by latin2 »

What i want to do.....give me any suggestion...