Alfa Proj or Crosman Silhouette air pistol

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

old gaffer

Alfa Proj or Crosman Silhouette air pistol

Post by old gaffer »

So here's the story...

I'm a leftie, and I'm currently shooting a Daisy 747, which is OK, except I'm a leftie, and it's a l.h. cocker.

I'm seriously considering either the Alfa Proj Competition for about $650, or the Crosman Silhouette for about $350.

I'm not in a financial position to buy a $1000 air pistol, and even if I were, I probably wouldn't, because I'm a cheap skate.

Does anyone have any experience or anecdotes to bring to bear? All I have to go on right now is reviews at the vendor's website, and I'm somewhat suspect of those.

All the best,
Rob
k9jri

Re: Alfa Proj or Crosman Silhouette air pistol

Post by k9jri »

The 747 is a 10M target pistol, the Alpha Project is a 10M target pistol but the Crosman Silhouette is not. I have a 2300S which is the CO2 version with the LW barrel and it is not in the same league as the 747.

Apples and oranges I think.

Mike
old gaffer wrote:So here's the story...

I'm a leftie, and I'm currently shooting a Daisy 747, which is OK, except I'm a leftie, and it's a l.h. cocker.

I'm seriously considering either the Alfa Proj Competition for about $650, or the Crosman Silhouette for about $350.

I'm not in a financial position to buy a $1000 air pistol, and even if I were, I probably wouldn't, because I'm a cheap skate.

Does anyone have any experience or anecdotes to bring to bear? All I have to go on right now is reviews at the vendor's website, and I'm somewhat suspect of those.

All the best,
Rob
k9jri

Re: Alfa Proj or Crosman Silhouette air pistol

Post by k9jri »

The 747 is a 10M target pistol, the Alpha Project is a 10M target pistol but the Crosman Silhouette is not. I have a 2300S which is the CO2 version with the LW barrel and it is not in the same league as the 747.

Apples and oranges I think.

Mike
old gaffer wrote:So here's the story...

All the best,
Rob
montster

Try a Tau 7

Post by montster »

Just bought the jr version for my son. It shoots quite well. Recently saw a full size one go for 350.

Check with our host.
william

Post by william »

There is a silhouette version of the TAU7. I think it has a longer barrel than the standard / junior models. Like all TAUs it's easily adjustable for muzzle velocity / power.

Try Top Gun Airguns for new and the classified sites for used.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Yeah, stop looking at that vendor. He has nothing suitable for your use.

Go on the Classified here and try to buy a used Pardini K58 or FWB 65. Either one will be of far higher quality than the guns mentioned and lefty grips are available for both. The Pardini might work better for a lefty.

You will also spend the same or less money. You can buy lots of pellets with that or piss it away on beer.

Post by Guest »

Not a fan of Daisy here, but you could flip the air chamber/cocking tube thingy over so the lever is on the other side.

RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I noticed you are looking at the Alfa Proj which is a PCP type pistol, so you will have to figure in some way of filling the tank. I use a scuba bottle and there are pumps available for the ambitious, but either way there is a significant investment involved.

Have you considered the IZH 46M? Pyramyd Air says they have them in stock fitted for southpaws:

http://wop.pyramydair.com/p/izh-46M-mat ... stol.shtml

And Pyramyd posts customer reviews of their offerings - the IZH is highly regarded, but the fact that some of the reviews for other products are fairly harsh suggest that they are on the level.

Various used SSP's turn up on this forum fairly often but not so much with LH grips.

Good luck!

Roger
yana

Post by yana »

Alpha Proj is made in both co2 and pcp. I had the co2. Didnt like it. My Tau 7's are FAR better. If you do a search on here, as I already told why several times! ;)
I dont like Crosmans very much, as they're very low on quality. They usually dont even use steel breeches..
Indeed, whát do you want? 10m or Silhouet?
The 2300 might be too long for 10m.
Tau has bóth the Tau 7 ánd the 7 Silhouet, which has the longer, 12" barrel.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

yana wrote:Indeed, whát do you want? 10m or Silhouet?
This would be the important question. What do you want the pistol for? Serious 10m competition, informal 10m shooting, silhouette competitions, plinking... each intended use will come with a different "best" suggestion.

As for the "investment" to do PCP, I guess it depends on perspective. I consider myself a cheap SOB and didn't think the $90 it cost to get fully situated (buying a used, recently tested and full Scuba tank) was bad at all. I bought mine from a Scuba shop in Denver, CO (so, not quite a mecca for Scuba). Knowing what I know now, I suspect that anyone near a metro area could get situated for $50~60 with a tank, tested and filled. It'll probably be an ugly looking tank, but completely safe and functional.