Shot 238/400 in a local 10mtr Peep Sight Air Rifle NR......

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

point177

Shot 238/400 in a local 10mtr Peep Sight Air Rifle NR......

Post by point177 »

Shot 238/400 in a local shooting match in peep sight air rifle category......Still a long way to go...probably even missed Minimum Qualifying Score by a whisker.....that apart.....happy to say that have reached a stage where I am able to "call" my shots most of the time.......and definitely for the fist time in a match (only my third BTW) where I knew what was happening....with everything about my shooting.....there were even those golden (for me) moments when I knew that everything was going right and I would shoot a ten and I did......And also those moments when I was stupid enough to not cancel my shot, push my luck and was rewarded with some 6s, a 5 and even a 4....So that needs to be ironed out...........

I was shooting RWS R-10 in a FWB300S Junior. Must mention that the following helped and continue to help me in improving my shooting......

RIFLE : Steps to Success by Launi Meili

&

http://www.biathlonontario.ca/Coach_Res ... itions.pdf

http://www.biathlonontario.ca/Coach_Res ... nship2.pdf

Manish
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Keep going.

Aborting a shot is one of the hardest things I have to learn to do. I still won't listen to my head, and like you am rewarded by a poor score.

At a certain point you might consider getting some coaching from an air rifle coach. I did and talk about a HUGE improvement...wow. The one thing you cannot do yourself is to look at yourself. You need another pair of eyes (the coach) to look at your stance. Also the coach knows most of the common mistakes and can correct them before you run into them.

I used "Ways of the Rifle" and "Air Rifle Shooting." I wish I had these books before I started, as it would have made my start a lot smoother.

N-Joy shooting.
SMP

Post by SMP »

Based on the two links you posted are you in Ontario?
point177

Post by point177 »

I actually shot 328 out of 400 in this match not 238

I am in India.

Manish
point177

Post by point177 »

Yes I agree with you on getting coached. Have not had any luck so far as the coaches are also preparing for competitions. Strange, but that is how it is with us here.....I can get coached from a national level champion but that coach is in another city and I have to get leave from work to be there for a week or two....which is difficult at the moment.

I too have Ways of the Rifle 2009. Unfortunately I find this book has a lot of info but is too cluttered.

Manish
GaryN wrote:Keep going.

Aborting a shot is one of the hardest things I have to learn to do. I still won't listen to my head, and like you am rewarded by a poor score.

At a certain point you might consider getting some coaching from an air rifle coach. I did and talk about a HUGE improvement...wow. The one thing you cannot do yourself is to look at yourself. You need another pair of eyes (the coach) to look at your stance. Also the coach knows most of the common mistakes and can correct them before you run into them.

I used "Ways of the Rifle" and "Air Rifle Shooting." I wish I had these books before I started, as it would have made my start a lot smoother.

N-Joy shooting.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

It takes a LOT of reading, and you have to be selective about learning a little bit at a time. If you try to do it all at one, you WILL be overwhelmed, as it seems you were. Example you might just work on the stance for a couple weeks; the feet positioning, then the legs, then the hip, then the upper body, etc.
Then when you feel comfortable, move on to something else.

This is similar to what my coach did for me. He slowly changed my stance as I could absorb the changes. In the end he totally rebuilt my stance, but I was able to absorb the changes in smaller pieces where I could concentrate on that change, then build on it for the next change.

gud luk
point177

Post by point177 »

Gary,

Agree with you completely. I have been taking it in in small pieces......Thanks

Manish
GaryN wrote:It takes a LOT of reading, and you have to be selective about learning a little bit at a time. If you try to do it all at one, you WILL be overwhelmed, as it seems you were. Example you might just work on the stance for a couple weeks; the feet positioning, then the legs, then the hip, then the upper body, etc.
Then when you feel comfortable, move on to something else.

This is similar to what my coach did for me. He slowly changed my stance as I could absorb the changes. In the end he totally rebuilt my stance, but I was able to absorb the changes in smaller pieces where I could concentrate on that change, then build on it for the next change.

gud luk
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Well done Manish!
I coach youngsters air rifle and the books you mention "Air rifle Shooting" and "Ways of the Rifle" are superb sources of information but for a beginner can be a bit too intensive. It can be soul destroying to see them talk about 9's being bad shots when you would love to shoot them!
It is very difficult to coach from a distance but at your early level I always advise to keep it simple. Air rifle standing is simple, first form a stable base, then secondly move that base so it points at the middle, the natural point of aim.
If you have no experienced coach, use the books to get a basic position, and only adjust in tiny steps to get it stable, do not take a shot when the movement is more than a set level you are comfortable with, moving shots do not work. learn to reject shots and restart.
Then adjust that position to get a natural point of aim, that position should point at the middle when you are relaxed and have breathed out, if it does not, then reject it, adjust and restart.
Learn to reject shots, listen to the little voice in your head that says" put it down" not the little devil that says "go on go for it".
Have fun, and good shooting, we wait the day you come on here to say you shot your first 360.
Robin
point177

Post by point177 »

Robin,

Many thanks for your encouraging words.

As I analysed it, my natural point of aim appears to be towards the bottom of the target...somewhere in the area of the 4 and 1 ring (as seen through the sights).

I would appreciate it if I can get some detailed help on bringing my NPOA at the 10 or 9 ring.

Thanks again....

Manish

RobinC wrote:Well done Manish!
I coach youngsters air rifle and the books you mention "Air rifle Shooting" and "Ways of the Rifle" are superb sources of information but for a beginner can be a bit too intensive. It can be soul destroying to see them talk about 9's being bad shots when you would love to shoot them!
It is very difficult to coach from a distance but at your early level I always advise to keep it simple. Air rifle standing is simple, first form a stable base, then secondly move that base so it points at the middle, the natural point of aim.
If you have no experienced coach, use the books to get a basic position, and only adjust in tiny steps to get it stable, do not take a shot when the movement is more than a set level you are comfortable with, moving shots do not work. learn to reject shots and restart.
Then adjust that position to get a natural point of aim, that position should point at the middle when you are relaxed and have breathed out, if it does not, then reject it, adjust and restart.
Learn to reject shots, listen to the little voice in your head that says" put it down" not the little devil that says "go on go for it".
Have fun, and good shooting, we wait the day you come on here to say you shot your first 360.
Robin
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Manish
Have answered your PM
Good shooting
Robin
skylark

Post by skylark »

I'm not Robin, but if your NPOA is low, try moving your buttplate up a bit. It will only be a little bit.
point177

Post by point177 »

Will try it...Thanks

Manish
skylark wrote:I'm not Robin, but if your NPOA is low, try moving your buttplate up a bit. It will only be a little bit.