RE: Matchguns 5

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
nvalcik

Post by nvalcik »

I was wondering if anyone was having their MG-5 discharge when they closed the breechlock or after arming the trigger. I have been having some problems with this and I was wondering if this might be a trigger adjustment issue or if it is something more serious.

If anyone has a solution to this I would appreciate it. I really do not want to have this sent back to Matchguns since my MG-2RF has been in Europe for at least the last 6 - 8 months and I am still waiting to get it back from Gehman's after it was sent into repair.

Thanks,

Nick
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-5 Problem

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Problem most likely small levers in hammer/spring/firing pin assy are quite dirty.Problem easy to solve.Dis-assemble pistol exposing parts clean with a thin oil(kroil) and BLOW out dirt and crud with can of compressed air.Oil with light oil and assemble.Should cure problem. If not look into sear/adj setting-but do this after cleaning small levers in the FP assy.Cheers. Ernie
Last edited by Ernie Rodriguez on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nvalcik

Post by nvalcik »

Thanks Ernie. I have not shot too many rounds out of it. I think I probably have about 500 rounds fired through it since I bought it. I love the way the trigger feel and how the gun shoots, but that is a little disconcerting when the gun goes off without even touching trigger or when the breech is closed. I will definitely clean it first and then I am probably going to adjust the sear setting a little bit.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Check also the trigger weight (too low), trigger travel and sear engagement adjustments.
nvalcik

Post by nvalcik »

Thanks Jipe. I am really hoping that the problem is resolved through either a cleaning or an adjustment.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

Someone else on this board related a similar story some time ago...how's that for vague information? I think it may have been Jack Milchanowski. You may want to drop him a PM.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

I had a problem that may or may not be similar other than I had a couple of shots go off when closing the bolt assembly (or trying to close it--I was meeting resistance). I wrote the following:

"A year ago I had the ejector contacting somehow a part of the bolt that it should not contact and it developed a curve to it (the ejector piece was curved-it finally broke in two pieces). I was getting shots to go off when I tried to close the the loading lever. The Matchguns folks were very kind and sent me a new bolt and ejector and I installed them. I sent the old parts back to them."

Part of the whole situation was my not being experienced with firearms. I should have known, however, that when I met resistance to closing the bolt that I had a problem. Somehow the bottom portion of the ejector was contacting the bolt assembly and causing the metal ejector piece to literally bend. I did not realize this was happening. After I had two shots go off when closing the bolt I stopped and took the assembly apart. I still have no idea why it fired. Since installing the new bolt assembly I have not had a problem. I do remove the trigger assembly and clean the bolt assembly often. I was very pleased with the service I received from Matchguns. I sent them pictures and they sent me the appropriate parts which I easily installed.

I also have purchased the electronic trigger assembly and use it now. I have the mechanical assembly as a back up if needed. I could not be more pleased with my MG-5.

I am afraid my situation is not very helpful to solving the problem. I would love to hear if the "cleaning" solves the problem.
nvalcik

Post by nvalcik »

Thanks Jack.

I am not having any resistance when closing it but it is going off both when I close the bolt and on occasion when the trigger is armed. That is why I was thinking it was an adjustment that needed to be made. I will find out this weekend when I have time to disassemble it and clean it up a bit. I love the way the MG-5 shoots and I am anxious to get it up and running again.

Nick
nvalcik

Post by nvalcik »

I took the MG-5 apart and blew out the trigger mechanism and arming lever area out with a can of compressed air to get anything foreign out of the trigger group area. I then increased the weight on the trigger slightly and put a little more travel into the trigger stop to see if that would fix the issues. At least through 20 rounds yesterday (RWS, CCI Standard and Winchester T-22) I did not have a slam fire or misfire. At least at this point it would seem that the MG-5 has to be kept spotlessly clean. I have not shot it very much and I was a little surprised that cleaning it solved the issue.

Thanks,

Nick
Reinhamre

Re: RE: Matchguns 5

Post by Reinhamre »

nvalcik wrote: At least at this point it would seem that the MG-5 has to be kept spotlessly clean. I have not shot it very much and I was a little surprised that cleaning it solved the issue.

Thanks,

Nick
And why do you think that it was a matter of cleaning and not the adjustment of the trigger that made it?? I have never had any problem with a dirty MG5

Kent
nvalcik

Post by nvalcik »

Mainly because I have had a similar problem before after only firing one match and I wiped it down and the problem stopped temporarily. I have never touched the adjustments for the trigger before since they were set by the factory. At least on my MG-5 the pattern seems to occur after 120 rounds. I adjusted the trigger this time to see if the situation would improve. I have not had this type of problem before on my Morini CM-80 Supercomp, Hammerli 152 or Toz 35. I have been told that the newer MG-5 have a different breech block assembly which differs from mine, but I have not seen one to compare it to yet.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

Nick,

I am glad that the MG5 did not slam fire with the twenty shots. I, as well as you I suppose, would like to see a couple of hundred more to be sure.

I do not know if it would be of any help but, I could come down to the Dallas Pistol Club at anytime that you could make it this Wednesday. I am a member and can have you as a guest if you are not a member. I can bring my MG5 with me. Unfortunately Wednesday is the only day I am completely free this week.

Jack
nvalcik

Post by nvalcik »

Jack,

I think a couple of hundred rounds would be the minimum I would feel comfortable with to make sure it is reliable.

I would love to take you up on your offer but I have to work on Wednesday.

I will send you an email so that we might be able to set something up at a later date.

Thanks!

Nick
Weekend Shooter

Post by Weekend Shooter »

I had the same problem at the start. Ernie was very kind in pointing out the procedure to take it apart. I cleaned it ans then put a little MDS grease on the pins so that they would not move around. Increased the weight of the trigger a little. Works great. I havent had a misfire for the last 2 years. I've cleaned it again only recently out of charity to the gun. I think the grease on the pins (just a dab with an ear bud on both sides) helps keep everything in place. Remember the whole assembly doesn't have any circlips. One time the lever got stuck in the open position. It'll be fine. Cheers.