Good Air Pistol for Bullseye training?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rickn54

Good Air Pistol for Bullseye training?

Post by rickn54 »

I shoot bullseye using a 1911 and a HS Victor both with red dot sights. any suggestions on a good air pistol to use for indoor training? Thanks
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

The Steyr can be had with 1911 grips and up to a 4 pound trigger pull. Others might also have these features and I am sure if they do someone else will be able to chime in.
rickn54

Steyr

Post by rickn54 »

I have read about the Steyr which is pretty expensive and the less expensive models like the HW75 and HW45. Will the cheaper HW models hold up, are they of decent quality? Any other quality alternatives, if not the Steyr may be the only option if I can justify the cost.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

There are reviews at Pyramyd's blog here:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/05/ ... istol.html

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/05/ ... istol.html

I have a P1 which I think is the same as the HW45, and it is definitely built to last. I bought it when they were first announced because the springer mechanism give a recoil that is qualitatively similar to a firearm, but I believe the P2 is easier to shoot accurately. There is someone on the forum who is selling a P1 right now:

viewtopic.php?t=31259

Roger
rickn54

hw 75

Post by rickn54 »

Roger, I have considered the HW 75, are they built to last?
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I can't speak to the quality of the HW 45 (Beeman P2) from personal experience. I know that the P1 is quite solidly built (far more so than the Hi-Point I handled the other day - how can anyone buy that cr*p?). And it is supposed to use the same grip panels as a 1911. As a potential trainer, the Pyramyd reviewer also notes this:

"The 75 is superior for accuracy, but the 45 is not far behind. Only the shot impulse makes it slightly harder to shoot accurately, which is desirable in a trainer."

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Roger
Rover

Post by Rover »

Looking for cheap quality? There are a million FWB 65 German made air pistols floating around. I have seen used ones for $100 on up. They are excruciatingly accurate.

They have two features you'll like: a two position switch for heavy and light trigger pull, and a small screw in fitting that converts it from no recoil to a little smack similar to a .22. There are some RedDot adapters out there, but I don't know where.

If you decide to get into International style AP, it is fully competitive no matter what some who drank the compressed air Kool-Ade say.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Rover wrote:Looking for cheap quality? There are a million FWB 65 German made air pistols floating around. I have seen used ones for $100 on up. They are excruciatingly accurate.

They have two features you'll like: a two position switch for heavy and light trigger pull, and a small screw in fitting that converts it from no recoil to a little smack similar to a .22. There are some RedDot adapters out there, but I don't know where.

If you decide to get into International style AP, it is fully competitive no matter what some who drank the compressed air Kool-Ade say.
Hi Rover, you gave excellent advice. I'd like to add that multi-shot air pistols
are not necessary for bullseye training. The single shot match air pistols augment
slowfire training. Slowfire mastery is the crux for the timed and rapid-fire stages.

Tony
rickn54

fwb 65

Post by rickn54 »

I like your suggestion on the FWB 65. I may shop around and see if I can find a real nice one. Thanks
rickn54

FWB 80

Post by rickn54 »

Just picked up a nice FWB 80 locally. It is near mint except the previous owner had 2 holes drilled in the top for a scope mount. I left it at the local gunsmith to have him plug the holes. Rather have one with no holes, but it will work for now.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Many would consider the holes desirable for mounting a Red Dot or some such. I hope the smith is just putting in screws.

I like the 80 better than the 65, but thought it unlikely you would come across one.

Have fun (and no whining when not winning).
rickn54

FWB 80

Post by rickn54 »

It was not what I would call a professional job. The gunsmith is going to put filler screws in it and make it look the best he can. Other than that is is a real nice pistol. For the scope mounting I may try a BME mount.
rickn54

fwb 80

Post by rickn54 »

I will post a picture of it when I get it back, probably tomorrow.