FWB 300 Rear Sight Information Needed

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Pastprime

FWB 300 Rear Sight Information Needed

Post by Pastprime »

I need a rear sight for my FWB 300. I am newer than new to qualilty air rifles and have no idea what is compatible with the factory front sight.

I am not a competative shooter, just a backyard plinker. But, I have an Anschutz 54 with iron sights and it would be nice to have something similar for practice.

Any help appreciated.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You'll just need a rearsight that fits the fwb sight rails and I don't know of hand what the dimensions are. I suspect your anschutz won't but take it off and try it.

Rob.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Be careful, not all rear sights are interchangable.
I tried a late model FWB rear sight on my 300, and it did NOT work. The newer rear sight did not have enough vertical adjustment. I think it needed to go DOWN more than it could.

I have seen the FWB rear sights come on the market every so often.

Failing that, the Gamo or Air Force "might" fit. But make sure you have a return option if it does not work on the 300.
Pastprime

Thanks

Post by Pastprime »

for the information. It may be better if I put a scope on the rifle. I have not had much luck finding an original rear sight and I don't know what inserts will fit the front globe.

It's going to be a fun, backyard rifle anyway.
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

The FWB 300 rear sight has a barrel sleeve that fits into the recesses on top of the receiver. This is to keep the sight in place as the rifle recoils. (The action moves back to counteract the piston moving forward thus making the rifle recoil less). Without this barrel, the sights will move as you shoot. Other sights may work, however they wont stay put. If you are not competing, this would just be an annoyance, however cheap sights might not hold up.
You must also use a scope that is specifically for air rifles, or this same jarring will destroy your scope.
sandy22

Post by sandy22 »

SMP

Post by SMP »

The sights from an AR2078/BS4 will also work

http://www.archerairguns.com/Rear-Peep- ... rsight.htm

Copied from http://air-guns-pneumatic-pnews.blogspo ... rifle.html

Sights
The front sight on the BS4 is a globe-type that accepts different inserts, just like the German sights. And, the rear aperture sight on the BS4 (third item from the bottom) is such a good copy of the FWB 300 sight that people have been buying it when they need a replacement for their FWB aperture sight. In the 1970s and '80s, a lot of FWB 300s were sold for a lower price without sights to shooters who wanted to mount scopes on them. Therefore, it's not uncommon to find the gun without sights today. Fortunately, the BS4 sights are every bit as good and sell for a lot less money!
justadude

Post by justadude »

If I remember right the front sight on the FWB 300 took 16mm inserts. It was a little smaller than the very typcial M18.

The statement regarding the barrel screw the locked into reliefs machined into the top of the receiver is correct and the rear sight will not usually stay put without that lock in place.

The industry standard sight that has been pointed out might work OK but a shooter might find the 1-minute clicks a little coarse for anything outside of the most general work. Without getting too mathy, I think that is about 3mm per click.

'Dude
SMP

Post by SMP »

Archer airguns "one minute click" is incorrect. Or just poorly stated

My BS4 is 5 clicks for a minute adjustment

And JustaDude is correct the clear inserts I have here measure 16.5mm with verniers and they were for the FWB 300
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

I got a few FWB 300S and a FWB 150 and the rear sights are not too much of a problem. One of mine has a Walther rear sight on it which I consider an improvement over the original. I had also mounted some Anschütz sights but it was a squeeze-tight fit and the sight stayed put, even without the cross pin.

Why don't you give it a try with your Anschütz sight?