Help choosing a bullseye 45

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

cgroppi

Help choosing a bullseye 45

Post by cgroppi »

I'm a relatively new bullseye competitor. I am lucky enough to already own a S&W model 41 that my father gave me, and am now in the process of setting it up for bullseye. I do not have a .45, and am looking around for options. I do not want to spend money on something half baked, then have to end up replacing it or sending it off for long lead time gunsmithing. I would rather buy something good now that will hold me in good stead for several years.

I was shocked to find that the wait time for guns from good bullseye gunsmiths is measured in years. I have been scouring the classified ads for used guns for a while, and have seen almost none for sale. Those that are for sale go quickly and for high prices.

I've identified three options that I should be able to buy without an interminable wait:

1. Les Baer bullseye. I'm told Gil Hebard's and Champion's Choice usually have these in stock or can get them relatively quickly. This is certainly the safe choice. I don't really like the upright grip of the 1911, but I'm sure I could get used to it. The $1800 price tag is OK.

2. Pardini GT45. In stock from Larry's Guns. Price is reasonable ($1800), and I really like the grip rake and adjustable trigger. I don't have any issues with it not being a 1911, or it being European. I do not have a particularly large hand, so the big grip may be an issue. I like this gun a lot, but it's not the "normal" thing for bullseye.

3. Mountain Competition pistols. Their website says they usually have pistols in stock for immediate delivery. Don't know if this is true. Also, the $2800 pricetag is more than I want to spend.

Opinions on these guns? Any options I missed for guns I could get without a long wait time that will perform well enough that I won't have to replace it in a year or two?
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

There are many good used ones out there from the retiring shooters. Check with the members of your local club as to who has one for sale.
landshark

Re: Help choosing a bullseye 45

Post by landshark »

$2800 for the MCP is a bargain. Buy once cry once. You'll never have to buy another 1911, or worry if you should have bought something better.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I bought my Les Baer with scope mount from Champions Choice many years ago for about $1200. It is trouble free except for normal wear. I have replaced the barrel bushing and I broke an extractor. The trigger is still original and it will still shoot within 2 inches 25 shots with lead bullets at 50 yards out of a Ransom Rest. The only real problem is the blueing is gone where I grip the gun but that is to be expected.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

cgroppi;

I noticed that you are in Tempe.
Are you a member of the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club ?

I will be shooting there this coming Sunday in a match.

I sent in my Springfield that I won this last February at the Desert Midwinter match to Dave Salyer.

Dave built my Beretta 92FS that is more accurate than I am.

Sent my Springfield to him and got it back in under a few weeks and a very reasonable price.

P.M. me and we can exchange information.
A phone call would be perfect, or if you come out to the range, you can see and handle the Springfield.

Clarence Perkins
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I second the recommendation of Dave Salyer. A fine gentleman who will do his best for you in a timely manner. You will get all the gun you will ever need at a reasonable price.
I do have several friends who shoot Les Baers, and they are also happy campers, so you probably can't go wrong there either.
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

C. Perkins wrote:cgroppi;

I noticed that you are in Tempe.
Are you a member of the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club ?

I will be shooting there this coming Sunday in a match.

I sent in my Springfield that I won this last February at the Desert Midwinter match to Dave Salyer.

Dave built my Beretta 92FS that is more accurate than I am.

Sent my Springfield to him and got it back in under a few weeks and a very reasonable price.

P.M. me and we can exchange information.
A phone call would be perfect, or if you come out to the range, you can see and handle the Springfield.

Clarence Perkins
Clarence,

Yes, I just joined the phoenix rod and gun club. I've been going to the Tuesday night league with my model 41. I hope to see you out there soon!

As earlier posters said, something would come up. I just bought (tonight!) a brand new Les Baer wad gun with the 1.5" guaranteed group from Don Plante. Someone had ordered it, and then backed out. It's set up with a Rock River iron sight rib with built in dovetail, and an Ultradot Matchdot (so you can switch back and forth between the dot and irons).
Rover

Post by Rover »

Dirty Don will do you right! He'll even sell you boolits.

Now you can shoot the Bullseye match Sun. and, if you have a short barrel for your M41, the Standard Pistol (International) on Sat.
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

Rover wrote:Dirty Don will do you right! He'll even sell you boolits.

Now you can shoot the Bullseye match Sun. and, if you have a short barrel for your M41, the Standard Pistol (International) on Sat.
And in fact he did. I left with 600 rounds of his ammo, plus a bunch of other stuff. Metalform SS magazines, some cleaning supplies etc. A much lighter bank account, but I got a good deal on all of it. I'd rather buy it locally for a good price than order it from somewhere. His ammo is priced as good as anything I've been able to find.

I don't have the short barrel for the 41, and will be out of town both this Saturday and next Tuesday, so shooting the new gun will have to wait a bit.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

cgroppi wrote:I'm a relatively new bullseye competitor. I am lucky enough to already own a S&W model 41 that my father gave me, and am now in the process of setting it up for bullseye. I do not have a .45, and am looking around for options. I do not want to spend money on something half baked, then have to end up replacing it or sending it off for long lead time gunsmithing. I would rather buy something good now that will hold me in good stead for several years.

I was shocked to find that the wait time for guns from good bullseye gunsmiths is measured in years. I have been scouring the classified ads for used guns for a while, and have seen almost none for sale. Those that are for sale go quickly and for high prices.

I've identified three options that I should be able to buy without an interminable wait:

1. Les Baer bullseye. I'm told Gil Hebard's and Champion's Choice usually have these in stock or can get them relatively quickly. This is certainly the safe choice. I don't really like the upright grip of the 1911, but I'm sure I could get used to it. The $1800 price tag is OK.

2. Pardini GT45. In stock from Larry's Guns. Price is reasonable ($1800), and I really like the grip rake and adjustable trigger. I don't have any issues with it not being a 1911, or it being European. I do not have a particularly large hand, so the big grip may be an issue. I like this gun a lot, but it's not the "normal" thing for bullseye.

3. Mountain Competition pistols. Their website says they usually have pistols in stock for immediate delivery. Don't know if this is true. Also, the $2800 pricetag is more than I want to spend.

Opinions on these guns? Any options I missed for guns I could get without a long wait time that will perform well enough that I won't have to replace it in a year or two?
cgroppi,
I purchased a Pardini GT-45 from Don Nygord ca 10 yeras ago with a Docter red dot sight. It was fantastically accurate and reliable. It has a similar grip angle to my Pardini SP. The grip is the same width as a Para Ordnance wide body and one can modify PO mags to work in the GT-45.
The only minus to the Pardini GT-45 was that wilth the mild loads I used (185 gr. Star LSWCHP at 715 fps) it had a tendency to eject the cases over my head. I sold the gun a few years back when I stopped shooting 45 ACP. there are moments when I wish I still had that gun.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

S&W 625 revolver, be a true sportsman.
milevsport

Pardini GT45 for B.E.

Post by milevsport »

Pardini GT45 is competitive gun with many advantages. One of them is the fully adjustable trigger. It comes with 5" or 6" barrel and it is easy to mount a scope on. It is not only Larry's Guns out there. Pardini USA imports and supports exclusively Pardini pistols. Check www.PardiniGuns.com/store for more information or call Vladimir at (813) 748-3378.
Freepistol

Re: Pardini GT45 for B.E.

Post by Freepistol »

milevsport wrote:Pardini GT45 is competitive gun with many advantages. One of them is the fully adjustable trigger. It comes with 5" or 6" barrel and it is easy to mount a scope on. It is not only Larry's Guns out there. Pardini USA imports and supports exclusively Pardini pistols. Check www.PardiniGuns.com/store for more information or call Vladimir at (813) 748-3378.
How does the scope mount on the pistol?
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Can the GT 45's trigger be adjusted to something like a 1911 where it breaks suddenly or is it made basically for rapid fire with a long roll trigger. This is the one thing that I really dislike about my Benelli 90. It can't be adjusted that way but the interesting thing is that the 95 can be. That seems backwards.
keith

Post by keith »

The only advise ive got ..is dont do what I did......I bought a Kimber classic target......I figured I could use it for short course indoors this winter......and then do a Kart barrel kit and progress as my skills did with other upgrades well I dont know about you but Kimber thinks a gun that shoots 3'' @ 50ft is a target gun......I'll not be giveing Kimber anymore of my money thats for sure ...my SA loaded 1911 that I carry and shoot IDPA with will Shoot 1- 1.25 @ 25yds ...ok rant over......
penman53

Post by penman53 »

landshark wrote:$2800 for the MCP is a bargain. Buy once cry once. You'll never have to buy another 1911, or worry if you should have bought something better.
I have a MCP and I absolutely love itl I would not by any other 1911.
Finprof

Post by Finprof »

cgroppi wrote:
I was shocked to find that the wait time for guns from good bullseye gunsmiths is measured in years. ?
The wait time is a year or better for big name gunsmiths, but there are plenty of lesser-known smiths who do good work and can turn around a gun in a couple of months. If you look for one you can probably find one. He might even be local.
tuj

Post by tuj »

I was in your shoes last year, looking for my first 45 to compete with. I posted a WTB ad on the bullseye-l list and got several great responses with quality guns for sale from retiring shooters. I recommend this route. I ended up with a Les Baer PII 1.5"G with frame scope mount and ultradot for less than $1500.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

tuj wrote:I was in your shoes last year, looking for my first 45 to compete with. I posted a WTB ad on the bullseye-l list and got several great responses with quality guns for sale from retiring shooters. I recommend this route. I ended up with a Les Baer PII 1.5"G with frame scope mount and ultradot for less than $1500.
Excellent advice!
Orion

Post by Orion »

I recommend going with a Dave Salyer M9. You can use the 92fs / M9 in EIC service pistol matches. I shoot regular Magtech and white box Winchester for about $200 a case which shoots 2" groups at 50. Go with Dave!

45 is too expensive to shoot these days unless you reload..

I also own a Les Baer Hardball I purchased in store at Champions Choice, which has not a single malfunction in over 2.5 years. My dad's Baers still shoot 2.5" groups after 20 years.