Aluminum stock anodizing?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ToddMay

Aluminum stock anodizing?

Post by ToddMay »

Has anybody tried or had an aluminum stock that they refinished by anodizing it? What concerns should I have before sending one out to be colored? I know the Anschutz has a protective coating on them but will the aluminum still take the anodizing process?
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

Contact victor at usanodizing http://www.usanodizing.com/ They are pros. He will tell you all you need to know. I have had them reanodize a few AR-15's and they are high quality.
ToddMay

Post by ToddMay »

I have sent him an email. Thank you. I am concerned that the stock is already hard anodized and coated and what will re anodizing do to it and the fit? I know it will probably be only thousands of an inch but not sure how much difference it makes. I sent an email to Anschutz already, but have never gotten a personal reply ever from them. only an automated response email that they received it.
Thanks
Todd
Mcameron

Post by Mcameron »

if im not mistaken, i believe just about every anodizer completely strips the aluminum down to bare metal.......this will take care of any coating applied from the factory...

as for the fit.....i would be surprised if it effected anything......the anodized coating is only a few NANOmeters thick.......now i know anschutz keeps some pretty good tolerances.....but i can safely say a few nanometers arent going to effect the fit at all.
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

USAnodizing is a top notch firm. They de-anodize and then reanodize. This does change the dimensions but I doubt it has any effect on stock fit.

They also may recommend just colring what you have. They will do you right. They specialize in firearms.