162E vs 162EI?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dspark

162E vs 162EI?

Post by dspark »

Hi All,

So, I was all ready to take the plunge and invest in the 162EI new when I stumbled across a used 162E, the older model, for ~1000.

Now, I've done my searching on TT and it seems like the only difference between the E and EI is that the EI has the interchangeable cylinders.

I was wondering, though, whether the different cylinders change the balance of the gun significantly. Also, I know that the E uses the old photo batteries while the newer EIs use AAA.

Are there any other significant differences? Are the electronic systems the same for the two? I.e. is the only difference truly the cylinder?

Also, what do you think is a reasonable price for a 162E used?....

Thanks!
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

As far as i know the e chews through batteries like theres no tomorrow and they are expensive, there is no gauge for the e because you have to plug the whole gun into the pump. there is also no compensator on the e it has a sight holder instead. you could put a compensator on but by the time you do that and pay for batteries you might as well just buy a ei
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I'd go for the 162EI. I bought mine used, but virtually new, for less than 1000 USD on GunBroker so 1000 for a 162E seems a little high to me.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I know several people who have used the same 15V battery in their E or EI (old model) for years. Yes, they are expensive, but you can build them DIY from button cell batteries. There are both version of the EI, some of them labeled EA. The electronics are not compatible. A new electronic won't work on a old gun, and vice versa, and the grips are not the same. IMHO, the EI is well worth the higher price compared to the E, but then, I also think that the Steyr is the better pistol than the Morini.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

I have a 162e (and the 84e which uses the same cell) and battery life is not an issue. Unless there is a fault in the board, the 15v cell should last for a very long time (years in my case). No difference that I can feel in balance between the 162e and the 162ei.
I got mine near-new (it had shot fewer than 500 pellets) for about $700 equivalent and it continues to serve me well and I don't have any plans to upgrade. However $1k is probably a little high when a new 162ei can be had for around $1700 which comes with two cylinders and uses cheaper batteries. The 162e would also now be a few years old as I think production ceased around the mid 1990's.