Question(s) on standard rifle regulations

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Question(s) on standard rifle regulations

Post by tsokasn »

Hello my friends!

I have some questions on standard rifle regulations (3x20 fullbore)

I was reading the ISSF regulations and I didn't quite understood some things.

-It says that the same gun must be used through all the match.
Does it mean the same gun as a serial number or the same gun as stock setting?
That being sayed if a rifle has a mulfunction during the match,can it be replaced with an other one?

-The muzzle length from the end of the breech end to the muzzle length must be 762mm.
A tube is allowed or must it be 762 mm full of rifling?

-Is the use of riser blocks between positions allowed?(along with different cheek height setting and different lengths of pull?)

Thank you!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

7.4.2.4.3 The same rifle must be used in all positions without change. This does not refer to adjustment of the butt plate and hand stop or to the changing of front sight inserts or to adjustment of the rear sight or its eyepiece. The removal of the cheek piece during competition is permitted for barrel cleaning and bolt removal under supervision of the Jury; but its position must not be changed when it is replaced.
7.4.2.4.4 The overall length of the barrel including any extension tube, measured from the breech face to the apparent muzzle, must not exceed 762 mm.
6.12.1 If a shooter has a gun or ammunition malfunction, he may have it repaired, or continue shooting with another gun, with the permission of the Jury.

I think the items I have put in bold answer your questions.

You must use the same rifle (barrel/trigger/stock etc) without changing anything apart from the items mentioned.
The barrel is measured from the breech face to the end of the barrel/tube.
You can use a tube but it is included in the barrel length.
You cannot change/add riser blocks or adjust the cheek piece height .

edit note: "change/add" replaces "use" in the last sentance.
Last edited by David Levene on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Just a clarification...you CAN use riser blocks, you just can't change them between positions.

Eric U
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Eric U wrote:Just a clarification...you CAN use riser blocks, you just can't change them between positions.
Thanks Eric; I've corrected my sloppy wording.

To be totally correct, you can't actually change them in the same position either (should you want to for some strange reason).
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Thank's Eric and David!
I just wanted to make sure that I am not missing something that I could use as an advantage.
The butt plate adjustment can be L/R offset and up/down and the length of pull must be the same in all 3 positions,correct?
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Correct, the LOP can not be adjusted between positions.

Eric U
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

So a good LOP set up strategy is to set it for standing and then adjust prone and kneeling to it?

Are there any other "secrets" that can give you advantage on the standard rifle?
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

LOP is a compromise. For me I didn't get it perfect for any position, but it was closest for standing. I shot a Bleiker, with the angled rubber buttplate. You get an effective LOP adjustment when moving the buttplate up and down. I'm not sure what the guys shooting the new aluminum stock G&E are doing about LOP.

The best "secret" I did to improve my standard rifle shooting was to put a 1.5kg trigger in my Anschtuz air rifle and practice with that. The trigger and recoil were the biggest transitions I had to deal with when coming from smallbore. At least with the heavy air rifle trigger I could work on that. Getting used to the recoil only came with time on the 300m range.

Eric U
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Eric,
you mean the Blaker stock that has a angled "butt face" so by moving up the butt plate for prone increases the LOP and by moving it down for kneeling decreases LOP?
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

The buttplate carrier is mounted at an angle, and the carrier itself has a curved surface. The combination of those two things gives you a LOP adjustment between high and low BP position.

Eric U
Attachments
Bleiker_std_300m.jpg
Bleiker_std_300m.jpg (24.14 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Thank you Eric,you are very kind!

One last question about the butt carrier,does it slides up and down?
Or it's only the butt plate that slides up and down?
Accurifle

Post by Accurifle »

Can I add one more question on Standard rifle regulation?

G&E offers a hinged cheek piece that flips up to clear an opened bolt for their free 300m rifles.
Can this unit be installed in standard rifles?
The position of the cheek piece does not change when shots are made.
Between shots, it flips but is not removed from the rifle.

What do you think?
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Sorry to be off topic but could you provide any links for info on standard rifle. Im thinking of finding an event to do a little shooting that is as close as what i can get to the matches that are shot in the army. baring in mind I live in australia