when to torque??

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

oddsonjjf

when to torque??

Post by oddsonjjf »

Small bore Anschutz 1907 Torque the gun..... then untorque after each practice/competition or leave the gun torqued and check periodically?
metermatch

Torque

Post by metermatch »

You are probably going to get a wide range of responses on this. Some will say every time they shoot. Seems kind of tough on the gun to me.

Personally, I would leave the gun torqued as long as I was shooting local, not travelling, and not shooting in drastically different weather/humidity conditions. I live in CA, so not much change.

I would usually take the gun apart for a good cleaning about once a year, or like when travelling to the OTC or Perry.

For something like travelling to Camp Perry, remove action from gun. (airline baggage handlers).

Probably the best answer is to see for yourself: torque and shoot the gun. Put it away for a while, then take it out shooting without retorqing, and then re-torque and shoot again to see if there is a difference.

Jeff
Albert T

torque

Post by Albert T »

Just my oppinion:
It depends on the situation. I torque before every shooting session. Reason: a wooden stock is sensitive to the humidity of the surrounding air. when the stock absorbs moisture, the fibers will expand and the bolt tension changes. The opposite happens in dry air. A allu stock in sensitive to temperature. Allu has more then twice higher expension coefficient then steel. When temp increases, the allu expends more and bolt tension (torque) changes.
It is a good habit to lessen the torque when flying by airplane. Some or parts of cargoholds are not heated and it gets very cold up there! causing much stress on the stock.

Albert B
(The Netherlands)
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Depends...is your gun pillar glass bedded? If so, then torque it and forget it. I check mine every 6 months or so. If not bedded, the wood can compress and cause issues later on. The problem with the Anschutz 14,16,18,19 series actions is that the front action screw threads tend to strip out over time. Torquing your action every day is just asking for trouble. It would be money well spent to get it bedded properly so you don't have to torque it every day...

Taking a barreled action out of the stock to travel is excessive in my opinion, although some world level shooters do it. The safest place for your barreled action is when it is securely mounted in it's stock. You do need to remove the bolt to travel though.

Eric U
metermatch

Shipping gun

Post by metermatch »

I have seen numerous assembled guns damaged by the airlines. But my favorite was Cory Brunetti (I think that was his name) at the 1991 USISC at Prado had his gun case obviously run over by a vehicle. The aluminum case was bent beyond belief, but the gun was OK.

From what I recall, removing an action from a stock while travelling was as basic and well known as making sure the gun is unloaded until ready to shoot.

If nothing else, you could use a smaller case like a Pellican, and not make it look obvious that you are carrying a gun for safety and security.

Jeff