victor smokestacking

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

mr alexander

victor smokestacking

Post by mr alexander »

New to computers and this forum, guys. Thanks for your replies. Let me be a bit more specific about my issue. Victor's thoroughly cleaned/lubed religiously at regular intervals. Pistol never dry fired; when done shooting for the day, a plastic "dummy" round is placed into chamber and dry fired once to put firing mechanism at rest for storage purposes. Pistol has HS-made cantilever-type scope mount attached to barrel, with a 1" Ultradot sight on it.The factory magazines always feed and are cleaned regularly, removing any wax lube and shooting residue that accumulates. Frame, slide and barrel are all the original parts as purchased when new. Most aggravating is that smokestack occurs only once every 100 rounds or so at unpredictable and random intervals. It happens with all 6 of my magazines. It may happen with the first round in the magazine, the last (fifth) round or one somewhere in between. For every 100 rounds fired, it might occur with the first round of the day, the fiftyth or round number 100. Don't ever know when it will happen, but if shooting a 100 round box
of CCI #0032, you can count on it happening once. And, as said before,
other ammo brands were tried. Is it possible that after continuous use since 1977, that this Victor is just worn out? Thank you.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

There may be no real problem at all. One of the best things to prevent mal functions in a match is to put a few drops of Gunzilla or CLP on the top round of the magazine every time you load the gun.

My Hammerli will stovepipe on the average of once every fifty or sixty rounds without this treatment, especially when I am using CCI SV which is slightly larger than Ely or Lapua.
mr alexander

Victor Smokestacking

Post by mr alexander »

Isabel 1130

Thanks for your reply. I failed to mention this before- as advised by other shooters a long time ago, I have been putting 1 drop of plain gun oil on the top round of each 5 round magazine immediately prior to loading/firing. I have done this for decades and have had no problems until the past year or so. Hard to shoot your best when you're worried about functioning problems. It should'nt bother a good shoter, but that's easier said than done.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I don't disagree. It is hard to concentrate when you get worried about a double alibi. Have a gunsmith check both your ejector and extractor. sometimes small changes can make a big difference. It should be a gunsmith that is very familiar with the Victor. You should try this on the new bullseye L google group. More gunsmiths on that one.