ISSF Rule Clarification - Glasses

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Coastwatcher wrote:My prescription shows Sphere, Cyl, Axis, but has blanks for Prism and Base. What do I change to get +.50 diopter?
Sphere. Cyl and Axis are astigmatism adjustments.
Coastwatcher

Post by Coastwatcher »

I knew that Cyl & Axis were, as they are only shown on 1 eye, but I guess I still am not sure about the +.50 diopter thing. Do I add that to the sphere value in my shooting eye? Thanks for the help,
peterz

Post by peterz »

That's a really rough guide to correct your prescription from infinity to the roughly 50 cm between front sight and your eye. But you're much better to have an optician check you with your gun in hand than to guess.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Coastwatcher wrote:Do I add that to the sphere value in my shooting eye?
Yes.

If, for example, your prescription is -4.25 then the shooting lens would be -3.75.
If the prescription is 4.25 then the shooting lens would be 4.75.

If the normal prescription for your shooting eye is the one with the Cyl and Axis then you also need them on your shooting lens.

I agree with Peterz however, you'd be much better off having an optician (who understand the requirements for your type of shooting) check it properly.
mld

Post by mld »

As a follow-up, since I started this enquiry, my optician found for me a clip-on +1.0 diopter lens that fits on the inside of my progressive lenses.

The brand name is "Rouglass" and cost me $20 CAD.

My front sight is now perfectly in focus and I can still see the target.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I'm thinking of giving that a go ordering a heap of slightly different glasses off them and finding whats closest then going to the optometrist with my findings. I have a good optometrist that has made me about 6 or 7 lenses and hasn't charged me for any of them but so far i haven't been able to get one I'm happy with. I take my gun in we go through a whole series of corrections till i find something that i can see the front sight well, then he gets it made up, I go to the range and just cant see my front sight clear. I have had the one lens for about 2 years now and I could nearly see my front sight with it but now its getting harder and harder to see so Im going to have to have another go at getting one made
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Muffo wrote:I have a good optometrist that has made me about 6 or 7 lenses and hasn't charged me for any of them but so far i haven't been able to get one I'm happy with. I take my gun in we go through a whole series of corrections till i find something that i can see the front sight well, then he gets it made up, I go to the range and just cant see my front sight clear.
Are you also taking your shooting glasses so that he can see the distance from the eye to the lens. He needs to test your eyes at that same distance.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I sure am. we even tried doing it after his business shut so we could do it in the hallway with a longer distance from the pistol to the wall