Bedding a 2213 aluminum stock??? Has anyone?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tenring

Bedding a 2213 aluminum stock??? Has anyone?

Post by tenring »

The foam padding is very flat and the stock if very finicky about torque setting. Just wondering if anyone has ever glass bedded this stock for a perfect molded fit?

Any other successful mods I'd like to hear about too.

Thanks,

Tenring
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Bedding an aluminum stock doesn't work very well. The bedding compound needs to be at least .060" thick. And the bedding compound doesn't stick very well. Try some really low torque values. They tend to work well. Start at about 10 inch pounds and work up to about 45. (1-5 nm)
Matt
willymakit

2013 in 2213

Post by willymakit »

I removed the "coated piece of aluminium" and installed .032 gasket material from auto store. as Matt suggested start with low torque settings. I finished at 24 to 26" lbs.
willy
melina

Post by melina »

I have an Anschutz aluminum stock and it is bedded and has been for years, with no problems. It shoots great. I use 3 inch-pounds to torque, though it probably doesn't even need that much. Don't need to check the torque much at all, either. The foam padding was removed first, of course, before bedding.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

A couple of the AMU guys have bedded their actions into aluminum stocks with good results. From one of them: you need to rough up the bedding area of the stock to get the bedding compound to stick, and don't use ceramic bedding compound as it is a real PITA to machine.

Eric U
tenring

Post by tenring »

Thanks Everyone! I'm temped to try it. The Anschutz answer with the foam pad is just weak. I suppose I could spend $40 and replace it, but its not to good as we all know.

tenring
melina

Post by melina »

Yes, as Eric U pointed out, the whitish paint/coating was sanded off to reveal the bare aluminum on my stock as well prior to bedding.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

And don't forget to use Devcon bedding compound.
tenring

Post by tenring »

Which brings up another question... What all type of bedding compounds are there and what did you use?

Thanks,

tenring
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

I have absolutely no experience with aluminum stocks, but I have bedded many wood stocks to include African magnum calibers.

I would recommend Brownell's SteelBed. If staicking to the aluminum is an issue, I would recommend using a Dremel or a drill to pock mark the surface a bit in a random pattern.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Use Devcon steel putty.
Epoxy doesn't stick very well to aluminum. The reason (to the best of my knowledge) is the rate of oxidation. Aluminum oxidizes extremely fast, and epoxy doesn't stick well to aluminum oxide. But I have heard that the best way to get it to stick is to put the epoxy on the aluminum first THEN take rough sand paper and rough up the aluminum THROUGH the epoxy. This will make sure that the aluminum is not exposed to air so it cant oxidize.
Matt
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Some other bedding products are Bisonite,Arca glass and Marine-tex.
(info from 6mmbr.com)
But Devcon is more expensive from them.
After all what you pay is what you get.
tenring

Post by tenring »

melina wrote:I have an Anschutz aluminum stock and it is bedded and has been for years, with no problems. It shoots great. I use 3 inch-pounds to torque, though it probably doesn't even need that much. Don't need to check the torque much at all, either. The foam padding was removed first, of course, before bedding.

Are you sure only 3in/lbs??? Maybe you meant 3Nm or ft.lbs???

I would think you would need a special torque guage to even measure 3in/lbs.

Thanks,

tenring
tenring

Post by tenring »

I just got finished re-bedding with automotive gasket material. Slightly thicker and more dense then the foam that was in it. I put double sided golf grip glue tape to hold it in. Worked perfect. I'll start light on the torque settings and see how it does. If it doesn't work I can always buy new Anschutz foam piece. I'm afraid to try glass bedding in case it didn't work very well. I'd hate to destroy its resale value in case I ever sell it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll report how the gasket does in case anyone else wants to give it a try sometime.

Tenring
tenring

Post by tenring »

Automotive gasket betting works just as well as the factory foam. Simple and cheap.

Tenring