Best Starter 22

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rstriano

Best Starter 22

Post by rstriano »

I have a freind who can't afford the high end 22's and wants a starter firearm. He is looking at the Buckmark and mentioned the Walther SP22. I hear Ruger also. What is recommended?

Thank you
NDbullseye

Post by NDbullseye »

I like rugers personally because they always function. I am currently using a ruger MKIII Target Competition model. They have excellent triggers for coming from factory. Most rugers shot cheap ammo quite well. Mine groups CCI Blazer and CCI Std Vel about 1.1inches at 50yds which is pretty much X-ring.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I, too, like the Ruger. Pick a cheap used one, no matter how ratty, since you will want to put in a Volquartsen trigger and maybe a spring. It will run forever after that. If he can't shoot it well, nothing else will help him.
rstriano

Post by rstriano »

That's so funny. I just bought that Volquartsen I-Fluted 22 rifle featured on Top-Shot and never heard the name or anyone else say that name until i saw the show.

Thanks for the advice
Sled_Dog

Post by Sled_Dog »

I would try to find a used Ruger MkII, not the III. First, the factory trigger is better. Second there have been failures with the MkIII where the loaded chamber indicator actually breaks out. Both accept Volquartsen or Clark parts for upgrades,
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

ruger mkii or 3 is a much better choice than buckmark,
Axehandle

Post by Axehandle »

There are better 22 pistols and there are cheaper 22 pistols but the bottom line is you can't beat the Ruger for what you get. Just add a Volquartsen trigger and the Volquartsen grip and they are ready for me.
jakuda

Post by jakuda »

I'd also recommend the Ruger. Accurate out of the box. I'd recommend shooting it stock for a few months to figure out some fundamentals and get used to the pistol. Afterwards, it's easy to find aftermarket parts for it, if desired.
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

Axehandle wrote:There are better 22 pistols and there are cheaper 22 pistols but the bottom line is you can't beat the Ruger for what you get. Just add a Volquartsen trigger and the Volquartsen grip and they are ready for me.
MKIII with VQ grip and trigger. Honestly, the VQ trigger isn't that great. But it's a cheap rig.

tuj

Post by tuj »

joe1347 wrote:MKIII with VQ grip and trigger. Honestly, the VQ trigger isn't that great. But it's a cheap rig.
+1. This is my backup rig and its very accurate.
jackh

Post by jackh »

The Ruger will clean the Gallery targets when I am on my game. So will the Hammerli........when I am on my game.
Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

I shot my "straight out of the box" MK2 well into the Expert class.
CowsEarShooter

Just because I like a Russian gun doesn't mean I'm a Red...

Post by CowsEarShooter »

...but I hear and see good things being done with the IZH-35M. I've seen them go for a bit less than recent production MKII and MKIII pistols with the trick Volq parts installed.

I've been through three Rugers over the years and have to agree that they are a good place to start. There is also a significant aftermarket but this is a pistol which demands an aftermarket. True, you can start with a basic pistol in the $300-450 range and then upgrade, but wouldn't it be nice not to have to add $150 worth of parts (and that's before grips) to get what the "other guy" has?

I shoot a Marvel conversion on my 1911 (sold 2 Rugers to get it) and have been very happy with it. Consider that as an option as well. I shot my first season of bullseye with only one gun. I had a scope mount which attached to the grip panel and would change slides between 22 and CF/45. The I would remove the grip scope mount for the EIC match. Not optimal, but cheap and it worked.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

"...but I hear and see good things being done with the IZH-35M. I've seen them go for a bit less than recent production MKII and MKIII pistols with the trick Volq parts installed."

Last I heard, the IZH's were not in current production and are EXTREMELY hard to get replacement parts for. If that situation changes, I would agree, but for now, I believe the Ruger is a far superior choice.