Storing FWB 65

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Misny

Storing FWB 65

Post by Misny »

I have been told to store my FWB model 65 air pistol with the cocking lever unlatched. Has anyone else heard of this? Can someone provide insight as to why this would be a desirable thing to do?
Rover

Post by Rover »

So no moron can play with your gun.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Hey, hey, hey - watch the "moron" remarks.

After all, what kind of "genius" spends many, many dollars just to punch little holes in a piece of paper 33 feet away, while any normal person would go to Office Depot, get a paper punch for about $5 and do it much more simply, quickly and accurately? Huh? Okay, that's what I thought.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You "high tech" guys are a PIA. I just use a sharp stick like my pals learned me at "The Home".
RMar

Post by RMar »

If I recall correctly, I believe the argument for unlatching the cocking lever is related to prolonging the lifetime of the seal. The seal seats tight and storing those APs with the cocking lever latched keeps the seal compressed.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree. I just remember it that way.
Misny

Post by Misny »

RMar wrote:If I recall correctly, I believe the argument for unlatching the cocking lever is related to prolonging the lifetime of the seal. The seal seats tight and storing those APs with the cocking lever latched keeps the seal compressed.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree. I just remember it that way.
Thanks for a serious, quick and intelligent reply to my question. I wonder if it makes much difference with the newer, tougher breech seals?
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I'm not an expert on air gun seals, but I do a bit of machine design so I'm not just talking through my hat. Whatever elastomer the "newer, tougher" breech seals are made of, prolonged compression is going to cause them to take a "set" sooner or later. It may make just a small difference in the useful life of the seals if the gun is used regularly, but if you plan on storing it a while then releasing the compression will be more important.

There, serious and quick. Maybe intelligent too, who knows.

Roger
Rover

Post by Rover »

Doesn't "Roger" mean "Famous with a "spear?"
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Actually, I have always thought that Roger meant "shield bearer", but a quick browse of the web came up with a Wikipedia entry (an invariably reliable resource) that backs your interpretation. I also thought it was derived from the name Hrothgar, the hapless king in the Beowulf saga, but it is apparently merely a cognate. All of which is irrelevant - my mother just liked the sound.

Hoo, boy - talk about a thread hijacking!

My sincere apologies to Misny - I will refrain from intruding again. For a while, at least.

Roger
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I personally changed all of the seals of my FWB 80 ten years ago, and i can say that the white seals that they used were of inferior quality and they all desintegrated even without use.

However, the blue breech seals never deteriorated even with use and I always have had my cocking lever latched.
Misny

Post by Misny »

kevinweiho wrote:I personally changed all of the seals of my FWB 80 ten years ago, and i can say that the white seals that they used were of inferior quality and they all desintegrated even without use.

However, the blue breech seals never deteriorated even with use and I always have had my cocking lever latched.
Thanks for the insight. Looks like I don't have to concern myself with the position of the cocking lever with the new blue seals.
BEA

AP seals

Post by BEA »

It is best for the seals not to be stored under pressure. You will see the same thing now with the new compressed air AP's. When not in use,, the cocking lever is not pushed all the way into shooting position. I have a Steyr and the box it came in has a cutout in the foam for the cocking lever to be left partially open when in the box. On your FWB I suggest not latching the cocking arm when not in use. This has to be easier on the seal.
FredB

a non-problem?

Post by FredB »

This thread prompted me to check my 65. I found that there was no additional pressure placed on the breech seal by latching the lever as compared with leaving it unlatched. The only way to remove pressure on the breech seal was to partially cock the gun. So which would you rather store under constant pressure, your (more expensive and harder to replace) mainspring, or your breech seal?

Y65MV,
FredB
kevinweiho

Re: AP seals

Post by kevinweiho »

BEA wrote:It is best for the seals not to be stored under pressure. You will see the same thing now with the new compressed air AP's. When not in use,, the cocking lever is not pushed all the way into shooting position. I have a Steyr and the box it came in has a cutout in the foam for the cocking lever to be left partially open when in the box. On your FWB I suggest not latching the cocking arm when not in use. This has to be easier on the seal.
When you're comparing seal compression between the LP10 and the FWB 65, they are made of different materials.

The green o-ring used on the Steyr is an elastomer and the one used on the FWB is of a nylon synthetic material.

The seals that take all the stress and beating in the 65 are the piston and buffer seals, no need to worry.
BEA

Storing FWB

Post by BEA »

Do as you wish because it is your AP, however, if I have the choice to store under stress or not, I would choose not...regardless. What could it hurt, and it can be done with no inconvenience.