a suggestion for this site

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

birdwatcher

a suggestion for this site

Post by birdwatcher »

i just thought perhaps if there is enough interest here we could add 2 more topic categories. 1 for 300m/fulbore shooters and another for service rifle shooters.

Neil
RobStubbs

Re: a suggestion for this site

Post by RobStubbs »

birdwatcher wrote:i just thought perhaps if there is enough interest here we could add 2 more topic categories. 1 for 300m/fulbore shooters and another for service rifle shooters.

Neil
It doesn't bother me although you could just use the rifle section. The tag above with the remit of this site does though say 'olympic style shooting...', which neither of your suggestions are.

Rob.
j-team

Post by j-team »

I think you can sneak 300m into Olympic style, if not, then we had better stop talking about Standard Pistol and Centre Fire!
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I agree with 300 Meter. But not NRA highpower. 300 Meter used to be an Olympic event!
Matt
WRL

Post by WRL »

If you are interested in service rifle competition and shooting go to the USRifleTeam.com, National Match Competition website. The whole site is devoted to high power service and match rifle shooting.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Considering there's a Bullseye section don't see the big deal, if you're not interested in 300m or High Power don't go in those section. You never know you if you open your mind up you might actually learn something from people that do something else.
23's Dad

Perhaps in separate catagories but...

Post by 23's Dad »

I would hate to see the Olympic Rifle Catagory cluttered up with a bunch of postings about ARs, F-Class, etc. The uniqueness of this site is based on the specific topics covered here!

I don't post very often, but I lurk a LOT! I have learned many valuable things here to improve my Smallbore shooting. Other forums - such as the US Rifle Team sites, just have too much information that is specific to those disciplines.

Keep Target Talk for the decerning few who are interested in the "Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between."

I'd be very disappointed if this turned into another forum that was focused on shooting 0.000" groups while sitting on their A**!

Post by Guest »

I'm with 23'sDad on this.
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

ditto 23's dad and guest above.

The line at the top of the page says it all.

I do also shoot Highpower and vist US Rifleteams for that!
xnoncents

Post by xnoncents »

I think all talented shooters at the top of their respective specialties, be that 300m or service rifle have something important to contribute to the dialogue of advancement of shooting, even to our specialty of ISSF style small bore/air rifle.

The bench rest community has made huge contributions to our understanding of rim fire ammunition, barrel harmonics, action construction, bedding etc. and we are indebted to them. 300m and service rifle shooters can and do take us to school on reading the wind. We in turn contribute on ergonomics and other areas, to them.

Good shooting, is good shooting. Repeatable accuracy in any of those disciplines has a common scientific thread, either in physics, physiology or psychology. It's up to us, with our open and inquisitive minds to connect them.

It's true that this is a unique forum, and it would be a shame to dilute it. Part of what makes this such a valuable resource is that the entry bar is relatively high for SB/Air ISSF shooting, and hence the participants are a self selecting group of very dedicated sportsmen. Where else will you find a Olympic champion shooter logging in to correct an intermediate shooters technique, or answer a newbie’s question? However, it would be difficult to argue that the 300M shooters are any less skilled or dedicated. The entry bar for 300m is higher than for us. The rifles are scaled up versions of ours (or more precisely, our rifles are scaled down versions of theirs), and oh yeah.. they make their own ammo. One proposal would be just as the OP suggested, a different Index heading.

Post by Guest »

You may want to ask Uptagrafft if he thinks 300M is a lesser activity. I believe he has ample experience in this discipline. My opinion - shooting is shooting. Good technique will lead to good shooting whatever gun you use.

Dennis L
xnoncents

Post by xnoncents »

For the record it was Mr. Uptagrafft I was referring to when I made my allusion to Olympic shooters giving advice, and he is not alone in his generosity. I really think 300m should have a place as a forum.
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

I am very interested in 300 Meter. And I would love to see it in this forum.
Matt
skylark

Post by skylark »

I'm surprised to learn it isn't already discussed here. The "Olympic" thing I always took to be ethos (i.e. targets rather than tin cans or rabbits) rather than strict event. I mean, I've asked about both 6 yard air rifle targets and sporter air rifles and nobody's turned a hair...and technically I'm not an Olympic style shooter myself, as a female prone shooter :(
j-team

Post by j-team »

Some years ago I asked if anyone knew where to get a holster for a SIG P210 and my post was deleted.

At the time I thought it was a pretty narrow minded reaction.
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

It isn't snobbish etc. The differences are extreme. As I stated earlier, I shoot International Air and Smallbore and NRA Highpower-Service Rifle.

The jackets are very different as are the targets. Highpower targets have approx 6 MOA aiming black. The distances are drastically different; plus there is the rapid fire stages. It would be so confusing and possibly confrontational.

I won't even get into the BRD element. Things are fine as they are.