Used Hammerli 280 for bullseye

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

cgroppi

Used Hammerli 280 for bullseye

Post by cgroppi »

A local shop has a Hammerli 280 .22LR with the .32 S&W conversion kit for sale. They're asking $1975. I haven't seen it in person yet, but they say its in almost new condition. Comes with 4 magazines (2 for each caliber), all the paperwork, and the factory case.

What are people's opinions on this gun? What should I look for when I go to see it? Is the price fair?

Larry's Guns seems to still sell parts for the 280. Do people have experience getting them serviced? The gun has iron sights. It seems BME still sells scope mounts for the 280.
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

Seems there are two versions of the 280. Later ones are the ones to get. They have a screw in the front and one in the mag well to take down. That seems like the going price. One on Gunbroker for the same money right now. May be the same one. Search this site for info. I have a 32 and I really like it!!!
fc60

No Scope On 280

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

The 280 is best left as an iron sight pistol. I have not seen a decent scope mount for this model. Avoid ones that utilize any of the existing threaded holes on the upper. These threads are non-standard and expensive to repair.

I suggest looking at a Haemmerli SP-20. The ones sold by larry Carter have five holes drilled and tapped for a scope mount. The upper on an SP-20 is Aluminum alloy versus Carbon Fiber used on the 280 model.

By the way, the front sight screw on a 280 is M3 x 0.25. I finally found a tap at a company that makes parts for electron microscopy. It cost me $40.00 USD. A friend stripped his using a mount that utilized the existing screw hole.

Cheers,

Dave