red dot on 45

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

landshark

Post by landshark »

Freepistol wrote:I would think that parallax would be worse with a shorter tube as on the Micro, however, I have not seen a test. Does anyone have a link to a comparison parallax test of the Micro vs Ultradot? Thanks
ben
There's actually not that much difference in the optics (device) length. The aimpoint just lacks sunshades which MCP puts on them and isn't solid on a weaver rail as it is a piccatinny mount. Why aimpoint doesn't offer sunshades I have no idea, other than I guess they want them as compact as possible for tactical use.

There's a test of the ultradot parallax on bullseye encyclopedia.

Parallax for the Ultradot is not that bad at 25 or 50 especially when you consider there's not going to be much parallax as long as you keep the dot centered, and consider the target is big, the bullet is big, the pistol is not benchrest accurate.

Doing a head bob test on the aimpoint the parallax ends after a few feet.

The big advantage I think for the aimpoint is battery life, whether its more accurate than a matchdot at bullseye distances is probably moot, although once MCP gets through with the aimpoint its about as nice a red dot for bullseye as you can ask for. Also MCP provides a scope rail for their pistols that is weighted (balanced) specifically for the aimpoint.

As delivered straight out of the box going onto a clark rail I think an Ultradot or a matchdot is a much better sight for bullseye.
davekp

Post by davekp »

[quote="rstriano"]I have several ultra-dots and find the zeroing and locking of the settings all a bit weird. I am used to precision optics like my March scope and the black wheel over the allen key seems guessy.

My Ultradots don't require an allen key and have brightness controls. What model do you have? Is it an Ultradot brand?
rstriano

Post by rstriano »

I am not sure what ultrdot i have. It came with a measurement wheel that you slip an allen key through then into the adjustment hole and turn for the elvation and windage. It does not have "clicks"

The aimpoint Micro is precise. Zeroed at 25 yards i just go up 20 clicks and i am on at 50 yards. Shooting small bore rifles i am used to a crisp "click" and the aimpoint has that.

I also like that with the aimpoint you can adjust brightness, and turning the brightness down makes the dot very small and it doesn't cover my aiming mark.
rstriano

Post by rstriano »

Hi Dave:

Ultradot L/T
davekp

Post by davekp »

rstriano wrote:Hi Dave:

Ultradot L/T
The L/T is not the model usually talked about when we talk Ultra Dots. Most are using the 4Dot or Match Dot. These have brightness controls and click adjustments. The L/T doesn't work very well for bullseye.
Dave