Cleaning 45 and Walther GSP

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rstriano

Cleaning 45 and Walther GSP

Post by rstriano »

I am new to shooting and when i clean my 45, i don't remove the firing pin. I think once the entire gun is taken down that's the only thing i don't clean .... Is this necessary?

Secondly, on my Walther GSP when i take the top off and remove the barrel that's as far as i can get. I can't get inside the top piece to clean anything .... Is that OK?

Thank you!
Shooting Kiwi

Cleaning GSP

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

It's easy to find a manual for the GSP on the 'net (Walther's site), and our host has abbreviated instructions.

I'm assuming you have removed the barrel from the barrel / slide assembly by loosening the angled screw underneath, but can't get any further. If this is the case, it's easier to start again, so put the barrel back in and loosely retain with the screw. Now loosen the screw a few turns until a little hole in the underside of the slide aligns with the circular hole in the underside of the shroud. Poke something into this hole to release the pin which retains the cocking grips, which can now be slid out to the side. Now swing the hinged ejector out of the way, undo the barrel-retaining screw and it all falls to bits.

When I first got my GSP, I thought I'd treat it to some life-extending lubrication, so used a smear of moly grease on the periphery of the back of the slide, behind the cut-out where the hammer acts. (On the .22 assembly, but I'd guess it could also apply to the .32) Then the stupid thing malfunctioned - failed to cock, failed to extract: the slide obviously wasn't travelling back far enough. What had happened was the grease (there was only a very little smear) was effectively forming a pneumatic seal for the piston-like slide in its housing, so acting like a too-strong recoil spring. So the moral is: go easy with the lubrication, as you should anyway...).

Hope this helps.
rstriano

Post by rstriano »

Thanks Kiwi:

WOW falls to bits! That's my fear as a new shooter. The first time i disassemble i fear it won't go back together!

I'll look it over and try to find a manual. I bought the gun used it's a 1975 and shoots like a dream. Amazing accuracy but i like to clean my stuff and the first time you disassemble there is always that fear factor.

Thanks again

Richie
TonyT

Re: Cleaning 45 and Walther GSP

Post by TonyT »

rstriano wrote:I am new to shooting and when i clean my 45, i don't remove the firing pin. I think once the entire gun is taken down that's the only thing i don't clean .... Is this necessary?

Secondly, on my Walther GSP when i take the top off and remove the barrel that's as far as i can get. I can't get inside the top piece to clean anything .... Is that OK?

Thank you!
With the 1911 45's I only clean barrel frame and slide after shooting ca. 100 to 200 rounds. Once ayear I clean the extractor channel and firing pin channel.
With the Walther GSP I would clean the bolt face, breech face and barrel ramp after ca 200 rounds. I would clean the barrel with a patch soaked in Hoppes #9 pulled through on a piece of nylon monofilament. Once ayear i would rwmove the barrel and bolt and clean & lube the inside of the receiver.