38 Special HBWC bullets

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rawilsoniii

38 Special HBWC bullets

Post by rawilsoniii »

I'm trying to find 148 gr HBWC bullets for my S&W Model 52. This is a relatively new gun for me, but so far it treated me well at Camp Perry and a few recent matches. I've been using Winchester Super X match, but I've been preparing to start reloading for this to keep from going broke. I've heard both Remington and Zero are the bullets "of choice", however, I can find neither. Both are out of stock with no offers to backorder at all the usual sources. Meanwhile, at least Midway has 148 gr HBWCs in stock from Magtech, Speer, Hornady and Meister (though one person said these were flat base, not hollow base). Does anyone have experience with these flavors of bullets in a Model 52? Do I hold out for Zero, or try one of these other brands?

Ralph in Elburn
jerryg22

Post by jerryg22 »

Hornady HBWC work well. Try Powder Valley for pricing.
Rover

Post by Rover »

My 52 liked Speer HBWC with 3.2 gr HP38 (WW 231).
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

When loading for your 52, watch out for different length brass and especially brass that is out of square in the front. The crimp will release at a different rate if it isn't square and make the bullet tip. It won't be noticed at 25 yards but at 50 it will. I like the Zero or Magnus HBWC and my next choice which is several choices down is Speer or Remington. The Remingtons look awful and clog up the dies with lube but they are OK otherwise. -- Bill --
Misny

Post by Misny »

This fellow has posted on another site that he has 12,000 Star .38 SPL 148 gr. HBWC. He wants to trade them for Remingtons. He might be willing to sell you some. Although the Star bullet company is no longer in business, they had a reputation for making good bullets. Here is his e-mail addy: blacktalon@black-talon.org

I don't know the fellow, just passing along information.
rawilsoniii

Post by rawilsoniii »

Thanks, all for the input.....
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

My Model 52 shot very well with the 148 gr. Remington LHBWC bwind 2.8 gr. Bulseye and Rem 1.5. The bullet was seated flush with the case mouth and a very light crimp applied.The gun never malfunctioned.