Need advice to improve groups with metalic sights.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

EricP

Need advice to improve groups with metalic sights.

Post by EricP »

I just got into smallbore prone match shooting this year and have some questions about improving my groups with my metallic sights.

Earlier in the year it was suggested to me to use a scope until I start to figure out my prone position and reduce the affects of my pulse. I am finally comfortable with my equipment and have shot 398-16X and 396-21X my last two 40 round matches.

Tonight I decided to practice with my metallic sights. I have a Gehmann rear iris with optical correction and color filters and a Gehmann adjustable front iris. Everything with my position felt the same and I felt very comfortable, but my groups where much more spread out. My worst shots were in the 9-ring on a 50 yd NRA conventional target.

I know shooting well with metallic sights is a little more challenging than shooting well with a scope. I am just wanting to know what are some things to practice to improve my groups with metallic sights? I am eager to learn and willing to put in the time. I just don't know what to practice.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

EricP
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

A couple things to be aware of are wind, which is easier to watch through a scope, and having a proper sized front aperture.

For a 35-36'" sight radius you should probably be around a 3.4 (and remember too big is better than too small).
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Rob,
In my taste that is way too small. I have a ~35 inch sight radius and use a 4.0(in all positions)

Things that might help your performance (notice I didn't say score).
1. Relaxation exercises. (15min 2x a day is good)
2. Visit your eye doctor (depending on how your vision is already)
3. NPA NPA NPA (Did I mention NPA?)
4. Shoot rapidly. The shots should be shot in 6-8 seconds.
5. Follow through and watch your recoil.
Matt
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Once you have found the proper front aperture, you may want to try a variable rear iris. This controls the size of the rear sight's hole. Two things are accomplished; it helps you line up the rear with the front sight better, and it also controls how much light is being seen through the sight due to its size.

Last Saturday I was shooting an any sight match and started with my metallic sights, but a storm blew in and it got rather dark. Even when I opened the iris wider, I didn't have enought light pass through the sight and as a result I wasn't accurately lining up the front with the rear; shots appeared to "rise" upwards since my sight picture was incorrect. I ended up going to my scope.

Good luck!
1813Anschutz

Post by 1813Anschutz »

Great advice thus far......Many shooters use an aperture that is much too small. My front is often a 4.0-4.2 An adjustable rear iris is also invaluable.

Lones Wigger Jr. once gave me the advice to go to a larger clear aperture and as usual he was right!
Might work for you as well.......

Randy
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

On one card at the British Championships I accidentally put a 4.8 foresight in instead of a 4.0 - it looked a bit odd but my scores didn't suffer...

I'd agree with Griz and add "shoot during the still moment".

If you're using a magnifying diopter you have to be VERY consistent with your head position as you are effectively shooting with a reduced sightbase.

K.