Hammerli AP40

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mld

Hammerli AP40

Post by mld »

Does anyone have any comments on the Hammerli AP40 Balance, good, bad or otherwise?

Are the three way adjustable grips the way to go?

Is it worth the $1700 CAD or are there better alternatives out there?

Thanks,

Murray
Naimed1983

Post by Naimed1983 »

You can view a review here: http://www.btinternet.com/~cliverkay/Pe ... pistol.htm

I don't know how many experience you have, but i always recommend a Steyr LP10 if there is no specific reason to pick an other brand.
Cones

Post by Cones »

Hi,

We have one as a club pistol.

Great grip, balance, trigger and ergonomics.

But the build quality of the cylinder attachment thread is appalling. The threads have worn away after only a few months worth of use.

The new cylinder the club ordered will now not fit the worn thread on the pistol.

It lets down what would be an excellent product.

HTH

Mark
gn303

Hammerli AP40

Post by gn303 »

I own an AP 40 (and a LP10E). Of both I favor the Steyr. The AP 40 pleased me in the beginning because of its weight. The light weight works fine during training but under competition stress the gun became unstable. The extra barrel weights can and do overcome that a little. As everybody knows the problem really is the shooter, but the weights help.
More important as says Cones, is the tread of the cylinders. These are very delicate and you have to be careful when screwing them on and off. The use of the original brass connection between Hämmerli cylinders and the scuba tank is imperative. I ruined mine using an ‘ersatz’ replacement connector.
Otherwise it is a fine shooting pistol, with many adjustment possibilities. The grip can be adjusted in many ways.
It is definitely worth its prize when compared to other target class guns. If it pleases you, you have the possibility to shoot high scores and have a lot of fun.
Regards,
Guy
joel

Post by joel »

I have one, but don't use it as much as I would like to. I think that the grip is fantastic and the weight suits me well. The o-rings on the cylinders are delicate, but if you follow directions and use care, you'll have no problems. I have had zero issues with mine and it performs well.

My 2 cents,

Joel
yana

Post by yana »

Be aware, the old one's had alu barrel, hence quite light up front.
I very much like the grip. I very much like the large sights. I dont like the ergo triggerblade.
I dont like the filling procedure (must fill directly, without filling kit, otherwise it'll empty upon bleeding..).
Imo its useless always recommending Steyr. You have to buy a pistol that fits YOU personally. Nót the neighbour, or cause of the name..
Try and find out!
JGHermann

Post by JGHermann »

I just bought an AP40. I like the fit better than the others in the price range. The price was a big selling point as well. $1350 American.

The downside so far seems to be the difficulty of finding accessories. Hammerli was purchased by Walther so maybe hammerli products are on the way out. I'm looking for weights now.

After I bought this I thought about adding a reddot for bullseye pracrice but that doesn't appear to be an option. If you want a scope Steyr is the way to go. Of course its the way to go for $600 more.

I think for the price the AP is a good choice.

John Hermann
Sugar Land TX
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

The AP40 is still in production, even under Walther ownership. The problem is that the AP40 is a standalone pistol, not compatible with its predecessors and not part of a "family" of pistols, so there can't that many accessories. The Steyr has tons and tons of them, because a lot of addons are the same or at least very similar for the LP1, LP5, LP10 and LP50, which gives us 22 years of customizing and tinkering experience, and a lot more produced pistols that are on the market.