camp perry conditions

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

stevehdz

camp perry conditions

Post by stevehdz »

For everyone who has heard of the difficult conditions at Camp Perry. Here is some proof. 107 degrees and take a look at the large wind flag in the background. This was during the 3P matches.
Attachments
perry
perry
IMG_0881_small.jpg (39.22 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Think how much hotter it would have been without that "gentle" breeze!
Levergun59

3P at Perry

Post by Levergun59 »

I had to pull my son from the line after standing. His face was flushed and he complained of a headache. He didn't want to go, but I insisted. I found out later that he was crossfiring { sorry about that Mike. He's not that bad a shot }. I got him back to the A/C cooled barracks and he eventually took a cold shower and a 4 hour nap. The next day I deliberately let him sleep even though he had an 8:00am shoot time. I had to wake him up at noon. He had a good case of heat exhaustion. Conditions were brutal and we were hydrating him before and during the match. Hey, we still had fun and he learned a lot on his first trip to Perry. At best, 60 years later he can say he shot on the hottest day in Camp Perry history.
Chris
randy1952

Re: camp perry conditions

Post by randy1952 »

stevehdz wrote:For everyone who has heard of the difficult conditions at Camp Perry. Here is some proof. 107 degrees and take a look at the large wind flag in the background. This was during the 3P matches.

Sounds like you could have fried an eggs on a car. The wind is a gentle breeze compared to our wind conditions. We have anywhere from 20 to 30 mph gusts almost daily on a sunny days. The target frames we use for our 50 meter pistol matches where breaking in two because the wind was catching the cardboard faces as a large sail area. The targets would tear off the frames and the whole target frames would blow over even with rocks and tires on the bases. The frames are similar to the ones used at Perry for smallbore rifle.
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

For a few days this year Perry felt lime home although home was even hotter that week. Then it turned "cold" (below 70F). That morning some of us Alabama folks started wishing we'd brought long sleeves. Perry in the winter - we'd FREEZE! Now if we can just find a place close by to replicate that Camp Perry wind.
skylark

Post by skylark »

107 degrees? Ouch. Nasty.

That flag's never showing a 13 mph wind, is it? It looks stronger.

I wish someone had had a windspeed gauge at this year's Scottish meeting. Forget the effect of the wind on the bullet, I couldn't hold the black within the foresight. Prone.
pal177

Surviving Perry

Post by pal177 »

Was that on Thursday? No wonder we were hot! The record high in Toledo, Ohio was 102 F. By Friday, the medics were walking around telling people to drink at least two bottles of water per hour and eat salty snacks (high: 96F). Saturday seemed more brutal, higher humidity perhaps. Too bad about your son! Next year, consider going to Bristol Indiana (NRA Metric champs) instead: plenty of shade without having to hoist tents and EZ-ups. And we didn't have to evacuate the range twice, 3 times actually counting practice Weds, like we did at Perry. WOW!
kilowhiskey

Camp Perry Conditions

Post by kilowhiskey »

Hmm...here's what it looked like at our end of the range (target 54 area) during the 3-P match
Attachments
2011-07-25 001r.jpg
2011-07-25 001r.jpg (51.75 KiB) Viewed 2897 times