rifle "saddle" for freehand stand?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mousehunter

rifle "saddle" for freehand stand?

Post by mousehunter »

Please excuse a question from the uneducated. I just came back from the Texas 4H state games. I noticed quite a few shooters "hanging" their rifles on their freehand stand during their match.

I understand that freehand stands typically have a rest on top to steady a rifle while loading (and to rest between shots) and a loading block - but not sure what the lower saddle is called or who makes it. It was used mostly when the shooters had their rifles safe and were away from their lanes. It was mounted on the lower 1/2 of the stand below the loading block.

Anyway, need to get my kids a freehand stand, and wanted to get this accessory as well - but having difficulty finding it on any of the online catalogs.
topclass52

rifle saddle

Post by topclass52 »

Earnest Shooting Products makes an attachment that hangs onto an offhand stand where you can rest your rifle after strings. there is no website, but call him at 570-797-4872 for a catalog with pics. good luck.
topclass52

rifle saddle

Post by topclass52 »

Earnest Shooting Products makes an attachment that hangs onto an offhand stand where you can rest your rifle after strings. there is no website, but call him at 570-797-4872 for a catalog with pics. good luck.
mousehunter

Post by mousehunter »

Thank you for the reply - it was my best guess (since I don't have his catalog yet). I need to call him for some muzzle brakes for our CZ-200's as well.
gtrisdale

Post by gtrisdale »

Be aware that USA Shooting and ISSF require that the shooter hold the rifle while it is on the stand.
headwizard

Post by headwizard »

You also cannot use the "antlers" at some of the sanctioned matches. NRA did not allow them at the 3P Nationals at Camp Perry.
pal177

Post by pal177 »

headwizard wrote:You also cannot use the "antlers" at some of the sanctioned matches. NRA did not allow them at the 3P Nationals at Camp Perry.
And yet I saw them (at least one of them) used on the line at Camp Perry during the NRA Smallbore 3P Nationals (July 21-23). IMO, they just look like an accident waiting to happen. I'd rather have the rifle on the ground on a bipod or other stand.
headwizard

Post by headwizard »

They did not allow them for the indoor air portion for NRA Nationals. Probably due to CMP rules as it is their range.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Sounds like a great idea.... Place a $2000+ rifle in an off center location using a bent piece of aluminum a foot or two above the ground or concrete.

Hey, to each their own. Stock and equipment makers love selling replacement parts at a higher profit margin.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

That is without question the stupidest idea i have ever heard of for a piece of shooting equipment.

Sounds like something a rifle manufacturer would come up with. Sell under another name and then sell a new gun every 6 months or so to the idiots who bought the rest.
isuguncoach

gun cradles on stands

Post by isuguncoach »

We have used them since Bill first made them. Never had a stand fall over in any match. The idea is to make it easier for shooters with stiff shooting pants to pick up the rifle. Works great and shooters love them.
jerry0503222
Spammer

Post by jerry0503222 »

Be aware that USA Shooting and ISSF require that the shooter hold the rifle while it is on the stand.