Costs of Setting Up a Range for Bullseye Matches?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Orpanaut

Costs of Setting Up a Range for Bullseye Matches?

Post by Orpanaut »

Suppose I belonged to a shooting club that already had a 50 yard outdoor range with covered firing points and a high berm. If I wanted to pitch the idea to the club membership of holding NRA Conventional Pistol matches at this range, what sort of ballpark figure should I have in mind for the cost of a 10 or 20 point turning target system?

I have done some internet searches on this topic and the vendors' sites typically don't list prices. Also, I realize that there are other costs, but the turning target system is the big one and the hardest to estimate.

By the way, this is purely hypothetical at this point.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Not sure that you need turning targets. About half the indoor ranges that i shoot bullseye do not have turning targets and all the out door ranges we compete at do not have turning targets.
fc60

Turning Targets

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

If you do go with turning targets, consult the ISU/UIT rule book regarding which way the targets turn. I do not think the NRA cares which direction; but, it would be useful to expand into hosting some International style matches.

We have a local range that spent a lot of money to have turning targets installed by a professional vendor and they turn the opposite way.

Another source to consider is the NRA. They have folks that help design shooting ranges.

Cheers,

Dave
GOVTMODEL

Range for NRA Conventional Pistol competition

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Best to contact the NRA Range folks at (877) NRA-RANGE (672-7264), or go to http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/

Turning targets are required at Registered Matches, so if you don't have them you can still hold Approved matches.
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

Thanks for the suggestions. I did not know that ISSF had a rule regarding the direction the targets turn.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Orpanaut wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I did not know that ISSF had a rule regarding the direction the targets turn.
You might be surprised at the detail level of the ISSF rules! But as long as everyone follows them- no problems.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Saw this system at Camp Perry- I'm sure they would create a quotation for you:
http://www.portabletargets.com/
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Instead of investing in new (!) turning targets, which are quite expensive, go the whole way and acquire electronic targets. They are the ISSF future anyhow. Prices vary immensely.

Alexander
Misny

Post by Misny »

Whatever you do, put in a turning target system that will stand up to stray shots. You will want to have most of the system protected behind a berm, especially if the range is left unattended for long periods of time.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I'd suggest holding a few matches on stationary targets first. Build your base. Then go for the turning targets.