ISSF shooting

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
trevorw

ISSF shooting

Post by trevorw »

I was recently watching some ISSF world championship videos and noticed that a lot of the contestants shoot with Pardini's

which just happened to be the gun I chose to purchase recently (even before seeing the videos) so I assume I've made the right choice aside from that I also noted some contestants rubbing a grease like substance on the bullet in a mag before loading the mag into the gun.

Could someone enlighten me on what this grease is and the purpose behind it

thank you
MDK

Post by MDK »

trevorw

Post by trevorw »

Thanks
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'm assuming you're talking about the Pardini SP(E) for 25M events and yes when I watched the rapid fire events in Munich last month the vast majority of competitors I saw were using them. As for the oil / WD40 thing, I believe some nations use it because they can only get low grade ammo. Again watching one guy shooting at Munich, who was doing just that, he had a malfunction with the gun / ammo which he resolved by switching to his spare Pardini mid match - so whatever it was wasn't foolproof.

Rob.
trevorw

Post by trevorw »

Thanks Rob yes I think it was the RF event
milevsport

Post by milevsport »

Good choice on the Pardini. I use Pardini SP1 in rapid fire event. I participated in the final in Munich and was one of the shooters dropping oil on the first round in the mag. I do it just in case. I've had no malfunction in a competition for a long time, but the stake was high and I didn't want to have a malfunction in that moment. And you're right, this is not 100% working, but it might help. And that is all you need in a game like this - even a small boost in the confidence can help.
RMar

Post by RMar »

When I used stock OEM barrels, malfunctions (casings getting stuck in the chamber) would start after a mere 25,000 shots through the barrel. I ended up having custom barrels made and I don't recall having any malfunctions afterword. A drop of oil helps, but my recommendatioin would be to look into a custom barrel.
gn303

ISSF shooting

Post by gn303 »

As far as I know, the oil is supposed to improve the feeding process. I doubt is has to do with ammo quality, not at that level. On the ISSF videos you will see that even Schumacher oils the first round. I don't think he has an ammunition problem!
Regards,
Guy
David Levene

Re: ISSF shooting

Post by David Levene »

gn303 wrote:On the ISSF videos you will see that even Schumacher oils the first round.
So does Schumann ;-)

For many shooters oiling the top round is a throwback to the days of the .22 Short. It put just a tiny amount of oil into the chamber, enough to assist blowback with the pipsqueak ammunition and ported barrels.

With .22LR, and the minimum velocity rule, reliable blowback isn't normally a problem (given a properly set up gun and decent ammunition).

Having said that, a drop of oil on the top round can still be extremely beneficial; if only for the effect it has between the ears.
gn303

ISSF shooting

Post by gn303 »

Absolutely :-))))) !

Guy
brucef

Post by brucef »

I have found that in cold weather, if I have a little bit of oil on the ammo, it make for a more reliable 'feel' to the shots. I use an old air pellet tin with a piece of felt on the bottom that I have sprayed with Inox or WD40 or similar. (a 2 second spray from a can of Inox into the pad is ample)

I just quickly tip 5 rounds onto the felt, give the tin a small shake sideways so the ammunition just rolls around for just a second then load them into the mag.

They are only very lightly oiled, and it is evenly distributed thru the 5 shots. The felt stays oily for 6 to 8 months, enough to last the winter quite easily. (You have to press your finger into the pad quite firmly to see any oil residue on your finger, so there is not much oil on the ammo, but I do have a towel to wipe my hands clean before I take my grip.)

Without the oil, 1 or 2 rounds in a match feel quite 'soft' compared to the others, enough to make you wonder if it cycled the pistol; not what you need in Rapid Fire. With the oil, I don't notice any difference in 'feel' at all.

Hope this helps,
Bruce F
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

brucef wrote:Without the oil, 1 or 2 rounds in a match feel quite 'soft' compared to the others, enough to make you wonder if it cycled the pistol; not what you need in Rapid Fire. With the oil, I don't notice any difference in 'feel' at all.
Are you still getting that difference in feel with .22LR Bruce?

I bow to your far superior knowledge of the black art (RFP).
RMar

Re: ISSF shooting

Post by RMar »

David Levene wrote:
gn303 wrote:For many shooters oiling the top round is a throwback to the days of the .22 Short.
Very true. That is a long standing practice.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

My Benelli 22 is sometimes persnikety and sometimes not. The problem is I don't know why. Maybe residue in the chamber maybe not. If I put a bore snake through I can almost guarantee the next round will not completely extract and cause an alibi. I always take a box of fifty and put 2 drops of oil in my hand and roll them around until the oil is even which takes about a minute. I then put them one by one back in the box and mark the box and wipe my hands. Now an alibi is extremely rare and I even get careless cleaning it. When I finally do I am surprised how much carbon build up I have on the breech face that does not cause a failure. I use to clean it every 200 or so(what a pain) and now go at least a thousand without a problem. Maybe the same would work for the Pardini and not much lost if it doesn't.
brucef

Post by brucef »

David L : Are you still getting that difference in feel with .22LR Bruce?
Hi David, I should have mentioned that this was with 22LR ammo.
(SK Pistol mainly but also some RWS)
With the little bit of oil. I guess the oil helps 'smooth out' any variation in feel to the ammo if the action of the pistol is operating just that bit faster. And as others have mentioned in this thread, it can give you little bit of extra confidence in that you have done everything you can to help make things work more reliably.
BTW, I use a Morini CM22, heavy steel version, now about 8 or 9 years old and had about 150,000 rounds round thru it. I have used it at 2 Commonwealth Games, 1 World Champs and several World Cups for Rapid Fire in that time.
Thanks Bruce F
trevorw

Post by trevorw »

thanks for the responses any particular gun oil needed
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I use Lucas gun oil. I doubt seriously whether it makes any difference what kind. I use Lucas because I happened to have it and it is in a nice small squeeze bottle that doesn't leak. That means the most valuable part of it is that it is small, you can apply a single drop easily and it doesn't leak. It looks a lot like ATF fluid which would probably work equally well if you could find a convient container to put it in. I imagine the most expensive part of what I have is the bottle. A lot of people I know do this and I have never heard them offer up what brand it was.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I saw several competitors at the recent Sydney round of the ISSF World Cup put a drop on the top round 'in the magazine for each series during the rapid fire event. I imagine that it's benefit is more cerebral than physical as they were all using top quality ammunition. But if it doen't hurt, why not. As previous posters have said - it's one less thing to think about.
Bob