New Falcon Action for Position Shooting

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bill guinn

New Falcon Action for Position Shooting

Post by bill guinn »

I have discussed the possibility of creating a more position shooter friendly Falcon action with Johnathon of Baity’s Custom Gunworks. The action will have the trigger vertically aligned with the loading port to permit easy loading without compromising your position. It takes standard Remington style triggers such as the Jewell or CG X-treme. Frankly I’ll probably use a Kenyon.

The action will have all the features of the Falcon action including 6 o’clock ignition. The bolt handle is screwed on, so its configuration may be changed. This action could have their lighter version of the firing pin to ensure fast lock time, unlike the mass-enhanced pin that some benchrest shooters prefer.

Attached is a mock up of what we are thinking. I am interesting in ordering a few and would like for others interested to post their interest here and/or contact Baity through their email. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a rigid American action ideal for position shooting?

http://baityscustom.com/
Attachments
Falcon action (2).GIF
tenring

Post by tenring »

I sure would. But I'd be concerned about the loading port too. I'd hate to have a nice new action with the loading port of the 40X. Yuck! Id like to see and feel the triggers too. I have a Jewel on my 40X I use for benchrest and it good for that, but I have gotten use to my Anschutz two-stage for position shooting.

Tenring
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I agree. I would need to see a very good two stage trigger (Anschutz, Walther, etc) come out for the Remington before I would even think about it. I HATE single stage triggers.
Matt
justadude

Post by justadude »

I will second concerns from both 'Ring and 'Grizzly on this.

No fiddling about with getting the cartridge into the chamber WHILE in position, that defeats the purpose of getting the loading port back where it is easier to reach.

How much does this thing weigh? Sure it looks sturdy and with the mass back toward the rear of the rifle extra weight would not be as bad as that hung out on the front of the gun but still, an ISSF shooter has to go all 40 or 60 shots (men's events) without a break and at some point the weight becomes a problem.

What is the diameter? Is there enough wood in an older Anschutz stock (for example) so the stock can be inletted to accept this action? Could it be installed and bedded properly into a modern aluminum stock with some kind of appropriate adapter?

If you want to sell to ISSF shooters a standard 11mm dovetail for sights is a requirement.

Finally, as mentioned explictly by 'Grizzly, it will HAVE to accept an Anschutz or similar two stage trigger. If there is anyone serious in the 3P game shooting a single stage anymore they are the extreme rarity.

'Dude
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Speaking as a non-buyer, I have one reservation; I think the trigger is too far forwards. Looking at the photo it would appear that the tang extends a good inch or more beyond a conventional action (i.e. Anschutz), if the triggers are placed side by side. I would look to have two problems: 1) Would this not make it rather difficult to put into the stock, without the bolt-throw or tang fouling the cheekpeice (or the trigger being too far forwards? 2) If the trigger is in the right spot (an the action doesn't foul the stock) where would you mount the rearsight? On short actions such as the Bleiker and Eric U's most seem to place the rearsight on the front receiver ring, which on this action would be about 1in ahead of the trigger.