SK rimfire ammunition

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JohnLK

SK rimfire ammunition

Post by JohnLK »

I have local access to SK Standard Plus and SK Rifle Match .22 ammunition.
Does anyone know if the Rifle Match is suitable for a standard pistol at 50 meters? Is it potentially more accurate in a pistol at 50 meters than Standard Plus?
Thanks!
JLK
GOVTMODEL

Standard Pistol at 50 meters?

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I'd be quite surprised if both products didn't work just about equally well at 50 meters.

There is enough batch to batch variation that, unless you're able to batch test ammunition in your barrel and select a particularly good batch, it's not worth worrying about, IMHO.
william

Post by william »

I asked the same question years ago re: RWS ammunition. The answer I got was that the pistol ammo is just a bit hotter than the rifle variety in order to insure proper function in a semiauto pistol. It felt that way to me, but my Pardini was totally reliable with either, so I bought whichever was on the shelf when I needed it.
topclass52

SK ammo

Post by topclass52 »

I've used both pistol match and standard plus in my Hammerli and experienced no difference in performance or scores. As an aside, I was told to try the pistol match for 100 meter silhouette targets for the reason stated (slightly hotter) but again, find no accuracy difference between it and standard plus, so I use standard plus at all distances.
Rover

Post by Rover »

We can't tell you diddly.

There is only one way to know...test it yourself in your own gun. Anything else is just blather.

Also, we don't shoot Standard Pistol at 50 meters; only Free Pistol.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Perhaps he meant using a standard pistol to shoot the free pistol match, something which is fairly common when you don't own a specifically designed single shot free pistol.
The best free pistol score in our club over the past few years was shot with a Mk 2 Ruger bull barrel.
william

Post by william »

Or maybe he's in the US and is thinking about conventional pistol at 50 yards?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Not the only place - we've been shooting 50m standard pistol here in Switzerland since we threw out the Romans...
mangusta

Re: SK rimfire ammunition

Post by mangusta »

JohnLK wrote:I have local access to SK Standard Plus and SK Rifle Match .22 ammunition.
Does anyone know if the Rifle Match is suitable for a standard pistol at 50 meters? Is it potentially more accurate in a pistol at 50 meters than Standard Plus?
Thanks!
JLK
If Standard plus works in your pistol, the rifle match will do so almost precisely the same.

In smallbore rifles, the rifle match does group better (noticeably) but out of a pistol, I don't know if it is as significant.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Tycho wrote:Not the only place - we've been shooting 50m standard pistol here in Switzerland since we threw out the Romans...
You mean Standard Crossbow, yes?

Oh, and the Romans weren't exactly thrown out - Stilicho withdrew from the region under pressure from the barbarians crossing the Rhine. That marked the end of ~5 centuries of Roman presence in Switzerland from the time that Caesar bottled up the Helvetii in the region.

And they invented the "Swiss" Army Knife, too: http://tinyurl.com/yaexx3l

Roger
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Pah, Barbarians - they just had enough of the Swiss Guerillas and cheese and needed an excuse...

Interesting article - but doesn't mention that the inspiration must have come from this area right north of the alps ;-) And of course, at that time they threw the morning star over 50 meters, the crossbow was only later used to shoot at apples.

To come back to the question - I really don't think there is a difference in precision from a pistol. As long as it works, shoot it. We use lots of SK Standard and Pistol Match in our club, and it's pretty good stuff in most pistols.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You all missed the point...
Standard Pistol is ONLY shot at 25 meters; Free Pistol at 50 meters.

This is the Olympic Pistol (ISSF) forum.

Good luck with your ammo!

(And the metric system had not yet been invented by your French neighbors at that time.)
top end

Post by top end »

If you need to be really 'picky' - don't we shoot at distances of 50 and 25 metres? (not meters).
top end

Post by top end »

If you need to be really 'picky' - don't we shoot at distances of 50 and 25 metres? (not meters).
TonyT

Re: SK rimfire ammunition

Post by TonyT »

JohnLK wrote:I have local access to SK Standard Plus and SK Rifle Match .22 ammunition.
Thanks!
JLK
In my limited tests there was no significant difference in the grouping capability of either ammo at 50 yards. Fired from sandbags not Ransom rest tested.
Last edited by TonyT on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
william

Post by william »

Tycho, geehrter Freund,
The Romans left of their own accord. They could no longer stand occupying such a small territory where the locals couldn't even agree on a common language ;-)
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

But then, some of the mountain tribes kept the roman language until today :-D

Beside everything else, I think it's a valid question - seeing what the ISSF did to the RFP, it's only a question of time until they discard FP and let us shoot the same program with the Standard Pistol... @Rover: If you're going to think in olypmic terms only, the question could only be put up and answered by women - Standard Pistol is not olympic, and neither is 25m pistol for men ;-)
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

When I chronographed both they were identical.
SKJ PM 1047 fps SD 11.1
SKJ RM 1054 fps SD 10.7
Bruce Martindale

shootability

Post by Bruce Martindale »

Accuracy may be the same for many types but shootability is another issue!

I like the PM for 50 yds over more accurate but slower ammo.

Think about it; barrel time is not your friend due to trigger induced motions

Yes if all were perfect, it wouldnt matter but I never got there and all else the same, I'll take the better results when I can

Want to really prove it? shoot a slow 45 load and a fast one at 50 yds and see the difference, even with match bullets.

regards