Smallbore rifle for a short guy

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Michal

Smallbore rifle for a short guy

Post by Michal »

I shoot air rifle for a long time, and recently started to think about starting with smallbore. Which rifle would You recommend for a short guy (5 foot 5 inches) for prone and 3p?

TIA,
Michal
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Back in the old days when I shot SB, I had a hard time reaching the breech of my Anschutz to load a round of ammo {I am 5' 10", my arms are about an inch short for my height.} I found the Winchester 52 with the much shorter bolt allowed me to load without strain. Unfortunately, they are no longer made and I am unaware of any company making a really good 3P stock for one. I think the reach would be the problem area for you as a stock can be adjusted to your build. I don't know how the petite women are able to handle the reach required for the Anschutz, however, I've see them shooting great scores with them.
skylark

Post by skylark »

I tried the FWB, the Anschutz and the Walther a couple of years back, and the Walther (KK300) was the only one which was a sensible length for me. I'm very happy with it.

That said, I'm only 5'2. My 5'5 daughter shoots an Anschutz with no problems, and the new Precise stock goes considerably shorter than the one she has.

As far as loading goes, I don't believe a rifle exists which I can load with my right elbow still on the ground, so I've never worried about it...
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

My wife is short (5ft 3 in) and shoots a KK300 Alutec. It was shortened by the Walther development dept for her, but the mods are quite simple and I've also altered mine the same as I prefer a short rifle. If you buy one and wan't it shorter contact me and I can take some pictures of where its been shortened
Incidently she can't reach to reload which is common for short people, she drops the butt to load for each shot, reforms the position meticulously, checks butt position, checks zero, and shoots tens!
Good shooting
Robin
Michal

Post by Michal »

I thought about a "girls rifle" - Anschutz 1907. Do You think it would be good enough for prone?

Michal
skylark

Post by skylark »

1907s aren't especially short. I used to shoot an 1807 and it had the best part of an inch sawn off the butt. It's more difficult to do that with the 1907 because of the different buttplate fittings.

I wouldn't buy one for prone if I had the choice of a slim foreend "free rifle" type stock, and I say that as someone who shot with that style of stock for over 20 years. Unless you were planning to add a hook (which would make it even longer) I wouldn't buy one for 3P either (though the deep foreend is, IMO, helpful for standing and kneeling). Though one thing you might consider is a 1907 barrel which is lighter. Not so much because of the overall weight, but because when you're short a lot of the weight is a long way forward of your left hand.

I'm startled that someone who's 5'3 needs to drop the butt to load on a KK300. Whatever works for an individual, but I'd say that dropping the butt to load is something you almost never see these days, however tall or short the shooter is.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

skylark wrote:I'm startled that someone who's 5'3 needs to drop the butt to load on a KK300. Whatever works for an individual, but I'd say that dropping the butt to load is something you almost never see these days, however tall or short the shooter is.
Being able to reach to load in position without disturbing that position (which defeats the objective!) is not just a matter of height, it include body shape and arm length which effects the postion. Lower positions, and short arms having to reach forward to get the left hand to a better ballance position angles the shoulders which also contrives to put the port out of reach.
The objective is for the precision of each shot to be maintained, too many people follow trends today instead of good technique.
Good shooting
Robin
mangusta

Post by mangusta »

Several experienced shooters in my club lower the butt from the shoulder to load and I asked about the movement etc effecting shooting position. I was told two things:

1) Straining to reach the breach port will pull you out of position more than dropping the butt from the shoulder as you are physically stretching yourself around.

2) Prone shooting is all about getting into position and moving correctly between targets, if anything, repeatedly taking butt from shoulder helps you learn your best position, and how to return to it consistently (How many times have you got half way through a detail and found yourself slumped around...)

Consistency is all that matters.
Barney

Post by Barney »

If you have the money a Bleiker or G&E racer will solve the loading issue as the breech is 2 inches closer than the Anschutz/Walther/FWB etc
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

HPS claim that their Gemini Ultra is the shortest stock on the market by some 25mm.

Rutty
Michal

Post by Michal »

Thank You all for Your input - I'm analysing my options. Sadly, most (all?) of them are rather expensive...

One more rifle I'm considering is the new KK300 Anatomic - I would be greatfull if You could share Your opinions on that stock.

TIA,
Michal
randy1952

Re: Smallbore rifle for a short guy

Post by randy1952 »

Michal wrote:I shoot air rifle for a long time, and recently started to think about starting with smallbore. Which rifle would You recommend for a short guy (5 foot 5 inches) for prone and 3p?

TIA,
Michal
Check with 10.9 they have a new stock that by changing out the rear portion or module of the stock you can get the LOP down to 9". The price for the regular stock is around $1489 and the extra module is around $189. The idea is great for club, teams, or families that want younger or older siblings to share or pass on their rifles. The stock is made currently for the round action Anschutz rifles, but for a price the stock could probably be modified for almost any action.