Advice on Shooting Boots for standing

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Vincent

Advice on Shooting Boots for standing

Post by Vincent »

I shoot 10m air rifle and have been using a pair of discount shooting boots for the last couple of years. The boots have served me well but I'm looking to change to a wider, more comfortable pair with arch support. I am considering a pair of Stenvaag, Corami or Thunes to use as a standing only boot. Does anyone have experience with these brands? Any advice is appreciated.
Vinny
Abi

Post by Abi »

I've been using discount boots as well (I shoot 3-P Smallbore and 10m Air Rifle), and just ordered the Anschutz Stenvaag Strong boots. I've tried them on, but not used them yet. My first impression is that they are extremely well made in construction and comfort. As far as arch support goes...well...they do have a removable sole insert.

What I would recommend, for arch support, is to go to your local running shoe store and look for special sole inserts. My old boots started to collapse my arches due to the flat soles and standing on concrete- it was extremely painful. For $40 I fixed the problem with immediate relief. I got a pair of green trim-to-fit SuperFeet insoles, which provide arch support while apparently aligning the bones in your feet and providing structure for your heels. http://www.superfeet.com/products/

Hope this helps somewhat,

Abi
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Take a look at the sauer boots, they are built more for a wider foot and I love mine. I had thune's and did not care for those and ended up having a lot of foot pain. The sauer boots are very comfortable and with the stock insole I have found that I do not rock back and forth the way I did with my thune boots.
Barney

Post by Barney »

I have a pair of Stenvagg boots and I think they are great.
I would steer clear of the Sauer boots if you plan on ISSF shooting as the current model fails equipment control due to the wide rubber band which wraps around the boot preventing it from flexing thus not passing the flexibility test.
A friend bought the Sauer boots recently and a month later he had to buy another pair (Stenvagg) due to the equipment control issue
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Barney wrote:I have a pair of Stenvagg boots and I think they are great.
I would steer clear of the Sauer boots if you plan on ISSF shooting as the current model fails equipment control due to the wide rubber band which wraps around the boot preventing it from flexing thus not passing the flexibility test.
A friend bought the Sauer boots recently and a month later he had to buy another pair (Stenvagg) due to the equipment control issue
I did not know that. I was able to find a new pair of the older model the sauer perfect shooting boot rather than the sauer perfect 2.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Don't hold me to it, but I think the older model is ok, it was the new model my friend got and had the problems with
randy1952

Boots

Post by randy1952 »

Barney wrote:Don't hold me to it, but I think the older model is ok, it was the new model my friend got and had the problems with
Our club has been shooting in the older style Sauer Boots and there has been no problem this year in passing equipment control. We love the boot and seems to provide better support then the other brands we have tried. The only thing some had to do is put different insoles in the boot as some needed higher arch support.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I appreciate everyone's advice.
Thanks,
Vinny
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

My Corami Swiss shooting boots are on the wide side and very easy to put on. The biggest bonus is they have a very low heel which helps the standing position. Some of the other makes have a higher heel and can throw you forward slightly.

JSB
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I use the Kurt Thune boots. I like them a lot.
Matt