Walther Rear Sight Issue

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Walther101

Walther Rear Sight Issue

Post by Walther101 »

I have an LG300XT Anatomic, and I am having issues being able to move my rear sight far enough forward in order not to hit my glasses. I have either decided to cut the loading lever to go under the sight knob or try to move the sight knob to the other side of the sight.

Does anyone know if it is possible to move the sight knob to the other side of the sight?

Has anyone cut off there loading lever?

Thanks,
Walther101
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Before you go too drastic, what rear iris are you using, do you have an adjustable iris that may be too long!! You can get ultra short ones from Gehmann, Centra and AHG [my favourite]. I fitted an ultra short because my shooting glasses were touching the iris rim.
Also, have you got the stock length to butt the right length for your cheek position.

JSB
Walther101

Post by Walther101 »

I do use an ultra short adjustable iris. I have the butt plate all the way in the stock because I have short arms and have issues reaching the trigger otherwise.

Another option is to put the sight in front of the loading port and have an extender back to where it needs to be but I think that might be a little much.

Walther101
Colin

Post by Colin »

Can't you move the loading lever to the other side of the rifle, this may be better than cutting it. Colin
Walther101

Post by Walther101 »

I am not sure Colin, I have never seen anyone do it. Do you know how to do it?

That would be the best option if it is possible.

Walther101
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I also have a Walther LG300xt and have kept a shorter length of pull by not extending the buttplate out. I use AHG 20mm riser blocks and this allows for a more upright head position which I find is more comfortable for long sessions. As a result I am able to move the sight further back while maintaining a good sight picture in a natural position. The loading lever doesn't come close to my sights.
Regards,
Vinny
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Walther101

I had a look at my pal's LG-300XT last night and I would say the loading lever is not transferrable to the other side because of the breech/stabilizer housing design.
Vincent has the best solution, experiment with raiser blocks as you may be able to push the sight even further from your eye.
JSB
Colin

Post by Colin »

Walther101 wrote:I am not sure Colin, I have never seen anyone do it. Do you know how to do it?

That would be the best option if it is possible.

Walther101
Sorry my mistake, it's the XT400 that you can change the loading lever over
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

My wife is only 5 ft 4in uses an LG300 junior and even that's been shortened! and she uses an iris and still has plenty of eye relief left with the sight. I use an LG400 XT with the length on minimum, an iris and glasses and have masses of room.
I think that Vinny has hit the nail on the head, you need to look at your position, get you head more upright, lift up the cheekpiece, use sight raisers if necessary. You'll probably improve your ballance and score as well.
Good shooting
Robin
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I started out with 10mm risers and later chose to go with 20mm risers. I had tried the Centra Block/Club risers for the ability to go from 4-22mm and find the best fit. I found that with a Rika home trainer that 20mm was the best solution for my posture/head position and a stable hold. So I'm selling the Centra set now. Depending on your support arm hold more risers may need to be used, but I think 60mm above the centerline of the bore to the center of the front aperture is the maximum.
A couple of coaches assisted me with set up of my stock while using the 20mm risers while in the standing position and so far its worked very well for me. I don't use an adjustable iris but I plan on purchasing glasses and with my current set up I should be able to wear them without any further adjustments to the rifle or sights. I hope this helps.
Walther101

Post by Walther101 »

Thanks everyone for the tips. Tonight at practice I will be adding more risers and try to get my head more upright.

Walther101
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Yes, the Air Rifle rules only allow you to have the centre of the sight line a maximum of 60mm above the centre of the bore line.
Good shooting.
Robin
robf

Post by robf »

RobinC wrote:Yes, the Air Rifle rules only allow you to have the centre of the sight line a maximum of 60mm above the centre of the bore line.
Good shooting.
Robin
Remember that's the foresight, allows the rear to be a tad higher ;)
Walther101

Post by Walther101 »

Thanks to everyone for the advise.

I added a little more to my risers and had someone look at my position and discovered that I was stretching my neck toward the target. Which was creating the issue with my glasses touching my sights.

Now I have moved my head back and eliminated all the issues and put less strain on my neck.

Hopefully it goes well this weekend at USA Shooting Nationals.

Walther101
EJ

Post by EJ »

TS: Good that you found a solution to your problem!

If anyone else reads this and has the same problem I would like to say that the lever can be cut off. A friend of mine did that and added his own loading level instead. Requires some work but has worked fine for at least 8y. I have also done it (on a FWB 700).
But before you make any adjustments that can't be undone later, it's best to check whether there are no other solutions around (like in this case)