Morini MC 162ei Titanium?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
RandomShotz

Is it worth it? Well ...

Post by RandomShotz »

They make 2 claims for it on their website (aside from the dubious weight difference). One is shorter lock time and the the other is lower recoil with respect to the standard Morini CM162EI. Assuming that the recoil due to pellet acceleration is constant, then they are referring to recoil due to the acceleration of the hammer. If the titanium hammer is delivering the same force to the valve release, then the claim of reduced recoil is as dubious as the alleged weight difference.

Since titanium alloys weigh more or less 60% of steel alloys, then there can be a maximum reduction in lock time of 40% and probably less accounting for friction.

So the question is, what is the lock time of a CM162EI, what proportion is that of the total time from trigger to pellet exit and is the difference significant? 40% reduction in lock time sounds like a lot, but if the lock time is only one fifth (pulling a number out of thin air) of the total time between trigger and pellet exit, then there is only a reduction of 8% in the total interior time. Without hard numbers, it is not possible to say what the advantage is, but I suspect it is small enough to be negligible. After all, you are not trying to release the shot when the sights are exactly on target, but when the gun has settled down into minimal movement so would a millisecond or two mean that you are more likely to have drifted away from Olympic Gold?

So my roughly calculated and most inexpert answer to the question, "Is it worth it?" would be:

1) Yes, if you have the dosh and want to impress people with a really cool looking gun

and

2) No, if you expect it to be noticeably superior to the standard Morini

IMHO, of course.

Roger
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Osmun wrote:Is that pistol worth of buying or not? I meant technical features mainly.
Nobody can answer that question for you.

It's just like any other gun; unless you want to put it away as an investment you have to decide whether the way the gun suits you makes it worth buying at the price.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

You want a 162 that looks cool, go and get one of the Skanaker edition guns....
Osmun

Post by Osmun »

I have experience with CM162MI and EI and that pistols suit me. I’m still shooting LP10 but it isn’t my „friend” even after 1,5 year of shooting . I’m going to get rid of it and back to the CM 162 EI.
I just consider if buying CM162EI Titanium except of CM162EI is worth to do. That is 300 euro extra. After reading what RandoShotz has written I thing that basic version will be enough for me.
I won’t pay extra 300 euro for better looking pistol. Advantages of Titanium are good for top class shooters but not for amateurs like me.
I want to impress people with me results not with good looking pistol.