TOZ - Strip & Clean Experience

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
DukeShooter

TOZ - Strip & Clean Experience

Post by DukeShooter »

Hi,

I decided I'd do what I always do with a new gun, fully strip and clean. Not something for the weak at heart, but I'm not. Got the ol'TOZ stripped and cleaned. When re-assembling I slipped and "ping" the :$;)($ Cocking Lever Spring goes flying out into the shop hopelessly lost in my organized clutter. Out comes the iPad and oh no! $18 + shipping!!!

Well I just got some proper size piano wire and made my own (after 5 tries) i'm not going to pay $18 for a 1" piece of wire! It isn't hard to make a wire spring, it just takes practice!

Well all is well, my TOZ is clean and lubricated with a new Cocking Lever Spring and I now know a bunch about the inner workings of the gun.

The Duke, Dasvidaniya from Tennessee!
paulo

Post by paulo »

Which thickness did you use?
DukeShooter

Post by DukeShooter »

Good question, not to be smart but the "right" thickness, seriously though I don't know, I'll have to mic it and see. It was some scrap I had on hand from another project.
DukeShooter

Post by DukeShooter »

It was W6 size .016", known as Zither wire. Small stuff used on my Bowed Psaltry. Yes I shoot and play music doing neither with any great facility, but lots of enthusiasm. So .016 to .018 should work, YMMV, remember to wind the spring counter clockwise around a screwdriver handle or some other slim round tool that you can clamp in a vise. Takes about 4 winds around to give you what you want.

The Duke
paulo

Post by paulo »

Thank you for the information.

I used a paper clip for a spring replacement but had to file the base that goes around the holding screw, the first try got so thin it cracked.
I have found a supplier of stainless steel wire and wanted to get the right thickness to make a more suitable one, and a few spares, since I am up to my third one using the paper clip spring replacement method described in the past.
DukeShooter

Post by DukeShooter »

Paulo,

Use the music wire, stainless is unnecessary, you can probably find some locally if you check around at music stores. I had mine because I ordered a roll to restring a bowed Psaltry.

Paperclips are made from poor quality steel and will be too thick as a rule. The poor quality steel will cause cracks and breakage.

The Duke