I would like to know why...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
buonvento

I would like to know why...

Post by buonvento »

When I train in the duel with my 22 I'm always over 270, if I shot with the 32 I'm around 255 - 260!
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

A little more information could help. Are you using very different guns? Do you see a consistently significant difference in your precision fire scores between the .22 and .32?
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

Yesterday afternoon I made a 278 with 18 - 10 ... The guns are not the same model. The 22 is a Pardini SPnew I use for standard pistol.
With the .32, shots have a wider distribution on the target (factory or reloaded).
I area aim and there is no significant difference in the precison stage between 22 and 32. I noticed that with the .22 I have a few tenths of a second more before release. Better alignment, better grip? I do not know.
I begin to think it's a psychological problem...
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

Sorry.
Last edited by buonvento on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

What gun do you use for .32

Are you certain that it will at least hold the 10 ring with the ammunition?

Have you tried shooting it from a machine rest.
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

I'm using an MG4, which is a good gun, with a longer barrel. In the precision stage I'm normally around 270. Unfortunately I don't have a rest at the range to make a test.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Even 270 is - no offense intended - not all that good, you must have some kind of errors in there, too. If those errors are, for example, in holding force / forarm muscle tension, the increased (recoil-) movement of the .32 will multiply that problem. If you're shooting 260, there have to be some shots outside the "9" ring, so I'd stop thinking about the ammo for the moment - even blackpowder and marbles will give you a "9" at 25m ;-) Is there a distinctive pattern to your groups, when you compare 15 or 30 shot groups? Or are they all over the place?
ruig

Post by ruig »

I think that I have had the similar problem with .32.

In my case I had finally realized that I worked for a shot... I was full of expectations ("now it comes, it comes, it comes... and makes big bang").

The reason was my inner fear ("the pistol that makes big bang").

In addition, I have read, that some shooters had problems with Hämmerli SP20 (cracked frame)... And I had fear for any physical injury.

Later I have borrowed SIG X-SIX 9mm and S&W 686 Target Champion .38 and took part in official big bore competitions (and surprisingly qualified for nationals).

I came back to my .32 with tiny cartridges and have understood that there is no place for fear. Only "follow through".
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

I know my limits and I know not to be an Olympic shooter... For me the range from 540 to 550 is the best, what I'm trying to figure out is why I make a better duel with 22 than with 32.
Fear of the recoil, higher expectations, perhaps I shoot better with the 22 because I'm more relaxed?
ruig

Post by ruig »

buonvento wrote: perhaps I shoot better with the 22 because I'm more relaxed?
I would say - "Yes".
zarathustra

duel

Post by zarathustra »

I had those problems too when I started around a year ago. Later I learned that I was much better with the .32 (my coach handloaded my bullets, they grouped in the inner ten ring).

The initial problem I had was fear (the bigger bang!), poor follow through, and obviously my wrist couldn take the .32... But that's nothing you cant solve in the first 200 shots.

About duel, well, the .32 is heavier. Your muscle tone, and your fine tuning is prepared for the .22, not .32. I would say, focus on your basics, and it's just a matter of getting used to the feeling (weight and recoil)

I'll give you a quick example. I mostly shooting AP60 right now. No recoil. But guess what, I also started shooting Rapid Fire and doing very well. (8 and 6 to be honest, 4 is kicking my butt for now)
When I shoot my 9mm, my first shots are off, but after the 3rd shot my groupings are even better than when I only practiced with the 9.

My conclusion is focus on your basics and get the feeling for caliber =)
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

Thanks. I'll try...