S&W Model 41 50 yd zero question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Erud

S&W Model 41 50 yd zero question

Post by Erud »

Hi all,
I am shooting in my first outdoor bullseye match this weekend and have never shot my .22 at 50 yards before. I was hoping to be able to get out to the range this week to get it sighted in, but it is looking like my work schedule is not going to cooperate with that plan. I have a good 25yard zero on the gun, can anyone give me an idea of how many clicks I need to move the sights up to be on at 50? It is a 5.5" barreled 41 with factory irons and I will be shooting CCI standard velocity through it. I am not expecting someone to give me a magic # that will guarantee a clean target or anything like that, but a good general idea to keep me from giving away too many points right off the bat would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Erik
ciscovt

S&W 41 Zero

Post by ciscovt »

If you have a good 25yd zero, you probably don't need to make any change for 50 yds as long as you are using the same sight picture (center or 6 o'clock, or sub-six) Some times I need to make a couple of clicks up for 50 but not usually.

Scott
Rover

Post by Rover »

That has pretty much been my experience.

Just keep watching your shots thru the scope and you MAY want to shade the bull a little.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

If you want to be dead on go 2 clicks up at 50 yds
Old Shooter

Post by Old Shooter »

My aiming point is "center of mass" and when shooting CCI SV in my S&W 41 (with Iron Sites), I move 2 clicks between the 50 yard line and the 25 yard line.
tuj

Post by tuj »

I had the exact same problem as you; shot my first match without access to a 50 yard range for sighting. I just kept my zero from 20 yards and did fine with that. I was shooting Federal Automatch which is a little faster, but honestly I don't think the zero will make that much difference due to the sights being so close to the bore line. It didn't seem to matter for me and my MKII that I shot. Some matches will let you practice fire at the first slow-fire target; you can use that to see if you are sighted in or not. I went and used a number of ballistics calculators and the differences in zero are not huge in terms of if you are zero'ed at 25 or 50 yards. In practice they seem to be even smaller.
Erud

Post by Erud »

Great info - thanks a lot guys. Makes me feel a little better going into the match. I'll plan on starting out with my 25yd zero and be ready to move a click or two if they aren't going where they should be.

Thanks!
Erik
Old Shooter

Post by Old Shooter »

OK, Erud.....what was the right answer?
Erud

Post by Erud »

The 25 yard zero held up for for the 50 yard line. I had some high points and some low points and found a lot of things I need to work on, thanks to the advice of some more experienced shooters. Had gun troubles on Sunday(front sight fell out of the dovetail on my .45 midway through the first 50 yard string) that were tough to recover from. I didn't set the world on fire with my scores, but I had a lot of fun and look forward to getting out to some more BE matches! Thanks for the help, folks!

Erik
tk378

Model 41 50 yard zero

Post by tk378 »

I realize this is after the fact - It has been my experience that 2 clicks is about right for me as well using CCI Standard Velocity. My guess is that will also be true with my new 208s??
Tad
gulliver62

3-clisck sw 41

Post by gulliver62 »

For me, 3 clicks with a S&W 41 (Clark barrel) CCI SV