New MG 2

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Norseman

New MG 2

Post by Norseman »

With all the Matchguns MG 2 owners here, I'm hoping to get some answers here regarding the breaking in of a new MG 2.

The serialnumber is around 5000, if that makes any difference.

Question number 1: How many rounds must be put through it, before it fires every time? I have now 1000 round of different brands throug it and 1-2 FTF in each box.

2. How important is the cartridge length? After the last cartridge in the magazine went off, I'm starting to get very reluctant to use at least Eley Sport - does a cracked magazine impair the functionality?
The CCI Standard I measured to be .2mm longer so I bought a case of it. So far, I have two cartridges with "chewing marks" lying in the ammunition elevator/cradle and refusing to be chambered.

I've also experienced a FTF (CCI) and discovered a live round wedged between the hammer and the firing pin - took some time to clear that up.

Apart from that, I'm very pleased with the gun in training. In competition, I'm very hesitant to use it until I have at least two boxes through it without jamming or FTF.

Regards from Norway
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

mine is sn 40xx. so far no major problems but it likes to be clean especially when using lapua pistol king (1 ftf but it was after 800 rounds without major cleaning). so far it has digested old eley, sk lapua cci rws geko even american eagle without major problems (like ftf in every box as you mentioned). i am past the 1700 rounds and for my mg2 i would choose eley pistol match or geko/rws. does ftf happens on the cracked magazine only? what ammo you used/tried?
RJP

MG2

Post by RJP »

I bought my MG2 a few years ago and now have about 7000 rounds through the gun.

During the first brick (500 rounds) I had 4 malfunctions, ftf or fte. Since that time, I have had no malfunctions what so ever until recently. The new case of ammo has an occasional fail to fire with a solid firing pin imprint on the case rim. Rotating the case and firing again results in a normal firing.

I use SK Pistol Match ammo exclusively.

Unloading an MG2 is tricky. Some time ago, I posted a procedure on SAFELY unloading a MG2 in this bulletin board. My instruction manual did not mention this unloading procedure.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

best procedure if you have any incident is to lower the gun pointing the muzzle to a safe direction, remove magazine and then wait for the bullet that sits on the cradle to exit also. after that you should remove yout f-t-fire or f-t-feed with little effort.
Norseman

Post by Norseman »

ghostrip wrote: does ftf happens on the cracked magazine only? what ammo you used/tried?
To be honest, I only discovered the crack on the last session, so I'll try the other magazine today. So far I've tried:
Eley Standard
Eley Sport
CCI Standard
Fiocchi Maxac
Fiocchi Maxac Soft

I don't think they have SK Pistol Match or any RWS in Norway. I'm still trying to get the cheapest ammo to work, but I might step up a level on the ammo.

My worst jam so far is when I got a FTF and discovered that a cartridge had wedged itself between the hammer and the firing pin (!) I couldn't remove the cartridge in the chamber and was afraid the hammer could set it off when I removed the jammed round. I did not get the hammer to engage the sear either, so it was a bit exiting before I was finished :-)

But it shoots great (when it does go off) and I've convinced a mate to buy one (not mine :-), so I'll keep on to it.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

eley use wax that sometimes makes feeding difficult in tight chambered guns. I know a morini cm22 in my country that will f-t-feed eley. it only accepts the oily lubricated ammunition like lapua / sk. cant comment on fiocchi. you can also try wolf ammo if you have it in norway (sk/lapua/wolf is from the same factory if i am right)
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I'm using either CCI Standard or SK Standard (for RF). The CCI has an FTF from time to time, but it's clearly not the pistol's fault, the rims are heavily imprinted. With the SK, no issues at all. It eats most other stuff, too, but why pay more when I can get all the tens I can shoot for less bucks... Cracked mags will get you in trouble, though, smooth feeding into the cradle is essential. We had some SK at our club where the bullets were like slightly loose, not attached to the case as tight as usual, and the MG really hates that - the cartridge gets slammed around quite a bit, and if it falls apart during that, it won't feed...
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

i have also noticed this "where the bullets were like slightly loose, not attached to the case as tight as usual" in some of my lapua made ammo (sk or lapua branded) but didn't thought it would be a problem. now i wonder if my f-t-feed was from this thing and i was just lucky not to have more f-t-feed. i will check my lapua pistol king to see how many rounds i have with no firm bullets.
Norseman

Post by Norseman »

I may have come one step closer to a solution today.

When using Fiocchi Maxac, I had a FT-fire. When I looked at the hammer, it was resting on a cartridge that had jumped out of the cradle - maybe because it had a loose bullet?

As I looked at it, it slid over the cartridge and stroke the firing pin - not hard enough to set the cartridge off.
Allshooting

Post by Allshooting »

I believe almost all broblems are caused when base of cartridge is little too high on BIL. There is wery little roon between cartridge base and hitting hammer. Base little too high and hammer hits it. May cause misfire or hit cartridge some way ahead and fire chambered cartridge when hitted one is partly in magazine. Resut is crushed cartridge.

Key to broblem is to find a way to get cartridge stay low on BIL.